PDA

View Full Version : Males and fertilization

lybrasoft
05-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Hy,

I was wondering if this is a common scenario. In the past week I had two females laying eggs. We are talking about 2 young recently formed pairs.
The first male eat the eggs soon as the female layed them on the cone.
All of them. In the second pair the male cleaned the cone and did everything right except that he did not fertilized the eggs. He did not make any runs on the cone.

Is this something that is hapenning with a lot of young males ?

Please advice.

ShinShin
05-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes, most young male discus are like most young male humans, stupid. ;) Male discus generally need more time to mature, while some never seem to make the transition at all. I had a male once that was a year old when I put him with a female. He did everything he was supposed to do, the dance ritual, cleaning the spawning substrate, tube present, etc.. When the female began laying eggs he either watched or swam away, indifferent to the whole scenerio. I kept them together for a year with no success.

Mat

lybrasoft
05-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for writing.

I have this problem with 2 males. This is the first time for both of them. I hope in time things wil get better. Even if i am sure that he did not fertilized the eggs I still left them. I am thinking it helps them to mature faning them and taking care of them because they really do that.
I will update the thread if they will lay eggs again .

Thanks again.

deepblue
05-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a BD pair and they do everything right but the male always ate the wigglers once they hatched. And three years passed they did not learn and not once succeeded. Hope your discus pair succeed soon!