PDA

View Full Version : discus introduction

Palue
05-23-2008, 11:20 PM
As you know i currently have a single large discus. Not 100% positive but I think it might be a male. A friend of mine whom had a pair of discus lost the male and would like to give me this female whom sounds about the same size as mine. I am going to jump at this opportunity as discus have to be special ordered in here at a hefy price to boot.

I would like to know what is the best way to introduce these two once the quarantine period is over??

:D

ShinShin
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Introduce the male into the female's tank.

Mat

Dying for Discus
05-24-2008, 12:11 AM
:D Sounds cool.

If its impossible to do what Shin Shin suggested, I would re-arrange your tank you have now (without any fish in it) and then introduce both of them into there at the same time. You could move around some of your plants or whatever other decorations you have, and then put both of them together. That way neither of them have established territories beginning out.

If it turns out that they aren't wanting to be a "mating" pair, then I would suggest getting 3 more discus and having a small school. Outside of getting jiggy with it, they generally do much better in small groups of 5 or more. Hopefully you have a 55 gal or more if you have to do this...good luck! :D

brewmaster15
05-24-2008, 07:25 AM
I swap around pairs mates all the time.. Alls I do is place the two fish in the same tank ...if theres any aggression... place a wire mesh circle around one of them ...usually the female but not always... or divide the tank with it.... let them get to know each other a few days...remove the wire and they are fine.

hth,
al

Palue
05-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I will do as suggested, not really easy to move the whole tank around as the live plants are attached into the gravel bed nicely. But the other stuff I can move and by putting them both in at the same time I think this would be good to.

Thanks everyone, will post pictures if this takes place.

:)