PDA

View Full Version : New Tank question

LostAcres
05-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I could probably answer this myself, but want to know from all you experts.

Just set up another 55 gallon tank, This one has Pool filter sand substrate and will sport a nice large branchy piece of driftwood. Maybe a few grassy short plants. Penguin 350 power filter (new), and two large spongefilters. I am sitting here and watching the water clear right now. Reason for this tank is that my 75 growout needs to be de-overpopulated. My growouts are growing so fast I am planning to divide the herd of 13. 6 BD are going in the 55 gallon ( 4") and the other 7 (Albino, Yellow Diamond, RedRose and Leopards 4" - 5") are staying in the 75 which is still barebottom.

Now my plan is, when my new spongefilters arrive, I am putting them, or at least one, actually in the 75 gal tank and moving the cycled sponge(s) into the 55 gallon. Also taking some media at that point, from the 75 gallon bio filter and putting it into the filter of the 55 gal. Also the day of the fish move, I am going to be using water from the cycled tank and topping off the new tank. I am going to attempt to do it all at the same time, filter moving, fish moving, water exchange, etc.
Question is, will this mean I have an instantly cycled tank? Will I be alright with steady water changes and keeping an eye on the parameters?

Thanks in advance

White Worm
05-24-2008, 07:20 PM
I would even out the seeded media in both tanks and even out the new stuff when it arrives. At that point, yes, stay on top of water changes and watch the parameters for any spikes. No need to transfer old tank water.