PDA

View Full Version : Discus Newbie

Sheila
05-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi, I am new to discus but with the help of some local people (and forums) I have set up my first Discus tank. Here is the info:
It is a 55g tank with 1 Aquaclear110 and 1 Aquaclear70 for filtration (both have established media in them and both have sponges on the intake tubes). I am using 2 200w heaters to keep the temp at 85 and so far it has been very stable.
The substrate is sand and I have driftwood and real plants for decor. I was originally going to do a bare bottom set up but changed my mind after talking to a few people. The tank has been set up for several years but was switched over to discus about 2 weeks ago. I have 12 cardinal tetras and 6 discus. I picked up 3 ( 1 blue diamond and 2 spotted greens) about 9 days ago and another 3 (1 blue diamond and 2 golden phoenixes) 7 days ago. The second blue diamond that I got stopped eating about 3 days ago now. Everyone else is eating like absolute pigs and is taking food right from my hand. Currently they will only eat bloodworms and I haven't tried switching them onto anything else yet since I was told I should let them settle in first. The one that is not eating is very social and still has good color but it is obviously skinnier than the others. They were all dewormed before I purchased them and have all been having normal poops. I've begun thawing the bloodworms in some garlic guard to see if that will help at all. Is there anything else I can do?

I've been told to give it some more time but being a first time discus owner I'm panicking a bit. I'm by no means new to cichlids and most of them will not starve themselves but I've been told discus can and will.

I'd also like to know how to get them to eat someting other than blood worms, so far they ignore everything else.

Thanks so much.

Richy44
05-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Change your food in the AM with your first feeding. Ad 10% of the new food with the blood worms and gradually increase that amount until they are eating it willingly..

HTH

Rick....

Sheila
05-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks, anything I can do about the one that is not eating? It is starting to look pale:(

White Worm
05-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Up the temp a few more degrees, make sure the water is changed often and try to get ahold of some live food.

aquagal
05-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Sheila--

The reason you may have one that is not eating is because it sounds like you didn't quarantine your fish. Sometimes you can get lucky without putting your fish in quarantine, I have not been so lucky. Discus do seem more sensitive to pathogens and yours could have picked up something from the other fish. Not sure if the two groups of discus you introduced were from the same source, but I also have had trouble mixing discus. I originally mixed discus from 3 different sources over a 6 month period and lost all 10 of the fish.

Finally, it could just be the stress of the move to your tank that is causing the fish not to eat. At this point, keep the water clean and keep a close eye on them.

Sherry

Sheila
05-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I've been watching them very carefully and besides that one not eating, everything seems normal. They all came from the same source. I got them from the same fish store where they were in the same tank and had all originally came from the same place (hong kong). Had I gotten them from different sources I would have for sure qt'd. They had also been at the store for a few weeks and had been dewormed and were eating well. I've done 2 40% water changes since I got them and am planning on another one tommorrow. I don't know if I should remove this guy to his own tank or not. I just don't want to lose it!

edmoran77
05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I have a similar problem with one fish not eating (milenium gold). Just will not eat well. Thought it would die but going on four months and its still doing fine (not growing/stunted but better than dead!)

Sheila
06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Well I've switched a few things. Under the advice of the fish store owner whom I got the fish from I removed all sand and plants and they are now in a bare bottom tank. The owner also told me to bring back the one not eating and exchange it for another one. So I now have 2 blue diamonds, 2 spotted greens, 2 golden phoenixes and 1 super red pigeon blood in my bare bottom tank. They are all eating like pigs and doing well. I just have to get them to eat something other than bloodworms!

Sheila
06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Just thought I'd share some pics of my new babies, whom I'm enjoying alot now that all is well. The pics are a bit blurry but here they are (well most of them):
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/Discus1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/discus4.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/discus2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/discus3.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/sfeys/discus9.jpg
:D:D

MostlyDiscus
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree with micskus on the temp, and Richy on mixing food in the am when the fish are hungry... Live Brine shrimp if you go live food.. nice tank:D