PDA

View Full Version : your opinion

Palue
05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Good Day All......:angel:

Two questions here:

1. I have the opportunity to get a Blue Discus or Red Turquoise. Now the yes they will from my LFS on special order as Discus are hard to get here and rare to boot. The price difference between these two strains is that the Blue's (2 of them) are the same price as (1) Turq.

I already have a Cobalt Blue whom is very beautiful, I do not have any desire to breed but to just admire these beautiful fish. When i look at some sites they say Blue/Cobalt, so when my LFS says "Blue" would the mean the same looking fish as I have already??

Which strain would you choose of the two listed above??

2. Would it be better to have 3 discus or 2?? I can only have 3 max if this were the case due to my tank size of 30 gal (at the moment) working on hubby for an early xmas present......;)

:D

ShinShin
05-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Unless you have a mated pair, neither choice is good, in fact, they're bad. Too small of a tank for 3 discus, and even 2 discus especially if you end up with 2 males. Even if they are females, chances would be that one would be dominant and may eventually directly or indirectly cause the death of the other.

If you insist on getting them anyway, for me, I'd most likely go with the red Turquois, as they are a favorite of mine. For you, however, I suggest taking the two blue discus. Then, maybe, you'd end up with at least two being compatable, but you may eventually lose the odd discus out.

It is hard to say what a LFS means when they call a discus a blue discus. There are many varieties of blue discus. Even blue cobalt is redundant if you think about it.

Mat

Palue
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Even blue cobalt is redundant if you think about it.

Mat I totally understand where you are coming from. I think I will just leave well enough alone with the one I have. He has been in this tank for over a year now, big, beautiful the whole thing. Maybe I will just get a nice school of tetras to finish off his tank.

May I ask what do you mean by the blue cobalt statement you have above?

:angel:

ShinShin
05-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Cobalt is a silver blue color, so, using blue in the name just seems redundant to me.

Mat