PDA

View Full Version : Randy Discus questions

Xirxes
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I recently acquired a breeding pair of red leopard discus, not to breed, but just because they were bright and healthy for my 125 planted.

These fish are machines. The THIRD DAY after introducing them to the tank they layed eggs. I believe that because of the stress of transfer and egglaying, the female came down with some form of external parasite. She is still quite healthy, eats well and is responding well to the paraguard/ mettro-focus-garlic food soak for the parasites and some pre-existing hole in the head (seen below).

My issue is that just today she layed another batch of eggs...4 days after the first batch was layed (and quickly eaten overnight, by who i dont know). The female still has some signs of external parasite. Should i be worried about the breeding causing her to be weaker and less healthy? Thanks for any info.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/NicholeS29/eggs.jpg

tedsdiscus
05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
i'm not sure what those little holes are, maybe an expert can enlighten us both. How did you know she has parasites? She looks pretty darn good.

My real question is, what camera and settings did you use to take the picture? That is an awesome picture you took. So sharp and crystal clear.

Ted

Xirxes
05-26-2008, 09:53 PM
The little holes i believe are hole in the head beginnings, but this picture is before she started to show the white "salting" indicative of ich, or some other external parasite, on day 3. She has lessened in amount of parasites, but still being treated as mentioned.

The camera is Canon Xti 10.2 megapixel with a tamron 78mm macro lens, orinigally for my reef tank coral and invert shots.

freestylez_14
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Wow the eggs are so big, mine fish's eggs are so tiny.