PDA

View Full Version : Is it time the egg cover

truc_tuyen
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
change around 80% of RO water last time. Not a lot of white egg but when I come home last night, all the good egg gone. It could be a lot of reason but I want to figure out one by one. Let me know if you have any idea\

thanks,

Kenny's Discus
05-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Hello Truc,

By your description the first thing that comes to mind is you probably have a young pair? How many times have they laid eggs? If they are young pair most would take at least a few times to get it right and reach the wigglers stage. They have to learn that those are their future babies, not snacks lol.:p

Egg cover/screen are also useful but I myself would give them a few more practices first before using it...some pairs might also neglect their eggs when you first put the screen on initially.

Good luck to their next try!

Kenny

truc_tuyen
05-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Kenny,

The pair has lay egg around 4 times already. They have been treated good by me but so far no good.

This is the time time that I use around 80% RO water on them. Look like they do not know what to do. Eat good stuff and leave bad stuff. There should be a punish to them.

:confused::confused::confused:

thank for the advise Kenny

Truc

Kenny's Discus
05-29-2008, 02:40 PM
You're welcome Truc but don't be discouraged. Every discus pair is different; some might have stronger parental instinct and may get it right within the first few tries, others may take longer(some much longer or even never). For instance I've had pairs succeeding on their 1st time and on the other hand I've also had pairs that still didn't know what to do after like 20 tries. I wouldn't give up on yours if it's only their 4th time. Soft water is good for higher hatch-rate(if the male did his job) but it won't make them smarter lol...patience is the key when breeding discus Truc.;) And please no punishment!:D:D:D:D

If I can be of help anytime you have my number. Best of luck and have fun my friend!

Kenny

AADiscus
05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
If you changed 80% of RO water did you fill it back up with RO water or were you switching to aged tap water. I would normally just do a 20% - 40% when they have eggs.

ShinShin
06-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Personally, I would cover the eggs. I have had young pairs eat the eggs, but not the fry if they were covered. On the other hand, I have had young pairs actually blow the wigglers off the spawning substrate and eat them. It all depends on how badly you want to raise a batch of fry. It would give you at least a better chance than not.

Mat

doc3toes
06-17-2008, 07:47 PM
When would you remove the cover? Just keep it there until they free swim? I am doing the same right now.

ShinShin
06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes.