PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

numinous
06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
My leopard pair has spawned about 12 times now. They are a young pair, just over a year old. The water parms are all nominal and I am 95% sure they are male and female (by seeing breeding tubes and observing the same one lay eggs and the other one do fertilization runs each time). They used to leave the eggs be and eat them when they turned white. Lately I've been turning down the air to reduce the water current. The last spawn, I watched the female follow the male on his spawning runs, eating the eggs as he fertilized them. My questions:
1. How many more times should I let them be before doing somethng. 2. Should I return them to the community tank for a month or so then try again? 3. Would putting a cory cat in the breeding tank perhaps bring out the protective instinct in the female and stop her from eating them? I could not even put a screen over the eggs this time (it would have been the first time I used one) because she ate them right away. This pair has cared for the eggs on previous spawns (until the eggs turned white). So frustrating to be so close and yet so far away.

White Worm
06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
I wouldnt add any fish because eggs will normally become snacks. Are you sure your water parameters are good for breeding? Discus that eat the eggs right away may just need a break like sending them back to the community and trying again later. You can always continue to let them try and get the screen on as soon as possible. It does suck to keep trying and just not get there. I worked with a pair and never got them to breed but worked with another pair and did it on the 3rd try. You just never know but you need to make sure your water is soft enough.

numinous
06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes parms are good: 82 deg, pH 6, GH 80ppm, amm. 0, Nit. 0, Nitrate <5