PDA

View Full Version : Fighting juvi Discus - Need HELP !

2balik
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I got 3 Cobalt Blue discus in Feb (size 2 inch each).
After a month in a 29G planted tank with Cardinal Tetras, I have noticed that 2 of them have ganged up against one and are constantly bulling one of the discus.

Now after 3 months I can see the effect of bullying as others have grown the bulleyed one (raunt) is small and stays away from rest of the 2 discus.

He (Raunt) is eating, follows food, until other two attack him.
He had adopted my magnetic glass scrubber and sits on it whole time which is close to the surface, however I have adjusted it so he can easily sit or lay on it .

He is skinny and all the fins are ruffled up.

2 months ago I moved him to 10G bare bottom with some moss. He was not happy at all. His appetite was gone and he hardly moved.
Therefore I had to put him back with the other discus , even though I know its not the best option.

Any recommendation or advice is welcome as my aim is to save him and keep all three discus happy.

I feed them variety of flake , frozen and live food.
Tank Temp set to 82F

Thanks,

Peachtree Discus
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
buy more discus as 3 is a bad number. i know you will have an issue with your tank size, but with only 3 someone will end up runted. even i learned it the hard way.

aquagal
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Discus are cichlids and cichlids are aggressive. There is always a pecking order, which means someone is always at the bottom (the runt). When there are only three discus, the aggression does not get diffused at all (like it does in larger groups).

Discus are always better in groups of 6 or more. Problem is, I would not put more in a 29gal.

When you feed, try to divide the food, so the runt has a chance.

Don Trinko
06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I had similar problems with 3 in a 29. I added a 4th and it helped but there will always be one at the bottom of the pecking order. 4 2" discus in a 29 will work for a while but eventualy you will need a bigger tank. 6 2" will also work with good cleaning and wc but they will outgrow a 29 in several months.
Don T.

Peachtree Discus
06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
if ur like some of us here, u might wish u had done this......

put them in a 100G+ tank and add about 7-10 more beauties. use the 29 for a quarantine ...might as well go on and start justifying to the hubby/wife now :singer:

White Worm
06-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Put a seperator in the tank so that they cannot continually punish #3 but he can still feel secure in the same tank. Plastic egg crate works well. Save your money, get a 55g tank and 3 more discus. Add them all together in the 55g after a QT period and use the 29 for a breeder/qt/hospital tank. If you continue down the road you are on, the problems you have will inevitably continue until you have dead discus.

Kevin22
06-12-2008, 12:50 PM
3 discus is the worst case.
4 will be better, over 6 would be ideal

2balik
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Looks like consensus is that I need more Discus !

I will be in San Jose at the End of June .
Anybody have any Juvi Discus for sale, that I can bring back with me ?

Let me know .

Thanks all for your comments.

surya_niki
06-13-2008, 07:43 AM
HI,

I agree with all who have adviced on keeping more discus to reduce aggression. But dont try to single out the runt to a seperate tank. He might not make it.

Regards,
Surya

Darrell Ward
07-06-2008, 11:19 PM
In my experience, one fish will almost always become a runt in any group, while the rest thrive and grow. But yes, a group of 3 is never a good idea.