PDA

View Full Version : flounders & hogchokers

gotfish?
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
will they be a good tank mate with discus? im looking for a bottom dweller fish that would eat leftovers that discus would leave behind. i heard they are brackish fish, but i want to try my luck acclimating them to be totally freshwater:D anyone have experience with this?

its also gonna be a BB grow out tank, so no soil/gravel for them to hide and i was thinking of BN plecos for alge part of the tank

thanks

aquagal
06-12-2008, 03:11 PM
sounds like a pub in England...?

LostAcres
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
LOL...that was my first thought, only a pub in Ireland :D

digthemlows
06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I think acclimating a fish to fresh when it's supposed to be Brakish is a bad idea, and never works well......Get a BN pleco and some cories and you'll be good to go.

Ed13
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I think acclimating a fish to fresh when it's supposed to be Brakish is a bad idea, and never works well......Get a BN pleco and some cories and you'll be good to go.
I second that;). Anyway those hog chokers are really ugly:)
I thought both were saltwater only?:confused: I do not know of any species of them that will live in low salinity levels, could be wrong though, but it will still not make them suitable to discus tanks.

Some Cories, many plecos and others are suitable, will do a great job at cleaning, and will be far better looking.
Good luck.

phidelt85
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
How about some pictus cats?

gotfish?
06-13-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113611&highlight=flounders&page=2

i really like them, they kinda move like rays, but alot smaller. so its for people who wants rays but have no tank space LOL:D

Ed13
06-13-2008, 06:56 PM
How about some pictus cats?

They might not like the High temps too much, and the fact they are ich magnets might be too risky not to mention they love discus foods and will move WAY to fast to leave any for them:antlers:

gotfish?
06-13-2008, 08:26 PM
so far, all ive been reading about it is its really hard to keep them in a community tank since they tend to not be as competitive when it comes to feeding. so i figured, since i will be feeding 5 times a day in my grow out, there should be enough left overs for the flounder to slavage.

i think the only thing thats holding me back is keeping it on a BB tank, without substrate he cant hind, since they tend to bury themselves underneath the sand. and i never really seen people keep them with discus except for LFS, thats why i want to other people's thought on this.:D

if they would bring in ich and stuff, i think i should just drop the idea LOL
thanks