PDA

View Full Version : WHITE AREA AROUND FIN EDGE

alexfl73
06-12-2008, 05:21 PM
What disease?.... Been treating with Melafix, but Im noticing it on my other discus..thank you!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35865&stc=1&d=1213305596

DiscusDude85
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
give some salt a shot, Its always worked for me.

Joe

Don Trinko
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
It looks like fungus to me. Formalin should cure it in a few days. ( 3 to 5)
Don T.

alexfl73
06-12-2008, 07:59 PM
is Formalin safe for Discus?.. Ive been using Melafix..

Don Trinko
06-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I have never had a fish die or damaged by Formalin when used as directed. There are other fugus cures but for me the formalyn works. Don T.

ShinShin
06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes its safe if used properly. I perfer a formalin/malachite green product. There are several available at any LFS.

Mat

alexfl73
06-12-2008, 10:59 PM
will it mess with the biological?..what about reaction on healthy fish..it seems that out of my seven 3 are showing symptoms, with the worst being the one included in this post.

DiscusDude85
06-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Try salt! I have had horrible fin nipping and white on the ends, As you i wanted to try meds, But most of the experts here told me salt and they were 100% right! no joke 2 days later all white was gone and fins were healing right up. Why jump right to meds try somthing given right from the earth first.

Joe

ShinShin
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Remember, right from the earth doesn't mean that it is safe. I don't follow that line of thinking at all.

Mat

alexfl73
06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
added some salt...figured they can all use a shot....will keep you posted

alexfl73
06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Mat I got your post as im adding the salt!!....you dont think salt is a good idea?

Graham
06-13-2008, 06:52 PM
This probably isn't even a fungus, but a minor bacterial infection and the salt probably won't help it much, but it won't hurt either.

Everything is from the earth...does it matter which one we add.........NaCl or H2C(OH)2 + C23H25ClN2 ;) they are all chemicals

alexfl73
06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
thanks for your reply Graham...any ideas for treatment?

brewmaster15
06-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Alex,
How long have you been dealing with this problem...Those fins look like they are in the process of healing and growing back.... were they worse at anytime?
-al

Graham
06-13-2008, 07:14 PM
My next question is; Have these guys been picked on or bullied

alexfl73
06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Graham - Its hard to consider it bullied, when they all really pick at each other, but yes definetely some picking going around.

Al- hard to say if it was worse...maybe a little worse....you think those are healing?

brewmaster15
06-13-2008, 08:28 PM
How Long has the fish been affected Alex?

-al

alexfl73
06-13-2008, 08:34 PM
2-3 weeks

DiscusDude85
06-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Remember, right from the earth doesn't mean that it is safe. I don't follow that line of thinking at all.

Mat
What salt isnt safe? Ive always used it and its always worked for me. I highly doubt salt will hurt anything, plants may not like it but its not harmful.

Joe

DiscusDude85
06-14-2008, 06:52 AM
This probably isn't even a fungus, but a minor bacterial infection and the salt probably won't help it much, but it won't hurt either.

Everything is from the earth...does it matter which one we add.........NaCl or H2C(OH)2 + C23H25ClN2 ;) they are all chemicals

But the salt isnt processed like chemicals, Its a very minor process to get pure salt, Im not a huge fan of medicating my fish, Dont get sick ever just minor fin nipping so dont need many meds just some salt.

joe

Don Trinko
06-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Salt was used a lot in the old days. (so was penacilyn for humans) Salt did/does work for somethings but there are many ailments that it will not fix. Similarly in human treatment there are many antibiotics that work better than penacylin that are now available. Don T.

DiscusDude85
06-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Agreed absolutely! But there are alot of new bacteria and strains that are becoming resistant to meds, So ive always just tried simple treatments especially when it comes to fin edges, Now if there was an open lession,sore, anything like that id probably medicate. Ive only used formalin/malachite green for flukes. If we jump to medication for every fin nip then it will be useless when fin rot strikes the tank. Thats my stance on it, Maybe im old school but have been keeping discus for 2 years with no losses, In fact an im the process of breeding thats a whole different headache lol

Joe

alexfl73
06-15-2008, 07:03 PM
what about the salt in relation to the water changes?...given the amount of water changes on the tank...how long do I continue the salt treatment for?... put the salt in, but did a w/c a day later...fins seem the same..no improvement..what are your thoughts on melafix?

alexfl73
06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
also...if i go the formalin route...do I treat my whole tank or do I seperate the affected discus

ShinShin
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Joe,

What I mean is that just because it is from the earth, that alone doesn't make it safe. How about alittle crude oil in the old tank?

Salt kills bacteria the same way drinking salt water can kill a human, dehydration. Osmotic pressure forces the water out of the cell of the bacteria, into the saltier water of the tank. It does the same to the cells in the human body. Dehydration occurs, followed by death.

Salt has been wrongfully recommended and misused on the forums for years. Just read this section regularly, and see for yourself. It doesn't matter what the symptoms are, you read "I added salt" and now more recently, you read "and added PraziPro", which is fast becoming the second most misused chemical. Other than a dip or short term bath, salt has no place in the fishroom. I think Jack Wattley wrote that (actually, I know he did), and I aggree.

Mat

Graham
06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
and Melafix is junk~

alexfl73
06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
so salt is no good and melafix is junk....what route?..formalin?..do I treat the WHOLE tank?

DiscusDude85
06-17-2008, 05:17 AM
If it is indeed a bacterial problem wouldnt tetracycline be the better route? Shin Shin you are right, Meds are getting over used, Thats why i thought i was in the clear trying to use salt and not jumping right to meds, Its always worked for me, Ive got juvies and adults mixed so there are a few tussles and plenty of fin nipping,I noticed some whitish on my snakeskins fin, Added salt and woke up the next day and the white is gone. If jack said it than i beleive it! Hes like my unnoficial hero.

Joe

ShinShin
06-17-2008, 08:10 PM
A salt dip would be okay, even an overnight bath is not bad. I might try this: a strong salt dip for 20-25 minutes, like 4-5 tbs. in a 5gal bucket with air. Then drop it back into a tank with a strong dosage of methylene blue. MB is very nontoxic to fish, although it might play havoc with your biological filter. Do it for 3 days. See what happens. Don't just tinge the water, make it medium dark, not sky blue nor midnight blue.

If bacteria are the cause the salt/MB will help. If your discus has dead tissue from the bacterail attack, fungus can take ahold by attacking that dead tissue. The dead tissue absorbs MB, preventing a fungal attack.

BTW, isn't most salt today processed salt?

Mat

Mattie
06-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Hi Alex,

Have a look at this : http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/18757-melafix-pimafix-how-they-work-don-t-work.html