PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question!

Kindredspirit
06-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know how to turn off hibernation in Windows Vista? I want my computer to stay on desktop and be on desktop when I come back to it ~ I despise the hibernation mode!

:mad::mad:

Also, when I go to IE, my home page never opens! I set it as Yahoo, or AOL, Comcast, whatever but it never opens!......so I have to type it in the toolbar and go to it!! Double annoying!:mad::mad:

Windows Vista is so far......a PIA!

Help....:(

KJoFan
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Marie,

I would think your hibernation setting is in the power settings. Have you tried going to:

Start --> Control Panel --> (change to classic view on the left panel) --> Power Options

Whatever setting it's on choose to "change plan settings". You should be able to change when it goes to sleep. Change that setting to "never".

Alternately, you could choose "change advanced power settings". Hit the "+" sign next to "sleep". Click the "+" sign next to "hibernate after" and change it to never. That's just another way to do the same thing basically.

As for the home page issue, the only thing I know to do is go into Tools --> Internet Options, type in the address of the page you want or if your'e already at that page click "use current", click apply, then ok.

hth

Ed13
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I've only be using Vista for a week or so myself but here it goes...at least untill someone corrects me:D

Try :
mouse right button, personalize, screen saver, chage power settings and then on the select power plan, open the option change power settings under the plan you have highlited(balanced,power saver, high performance). On the Edit Plan Settings screen open the drop down menu with the reads "Put the computer to sleep" and choose never.

I do the same as Karen for the Home page

KJoFan
06-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Ed I think we were typing at the same time! :D

Kindredspirit
06-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Whatever setting it's on choose to "change plan settings". You should be able to change when it goes to sleep. Change that setting to "never".

You are my new best friend, Woman! Thank You! I did change it to "never":D

As for the home page issue, the only thing I know to do is go into Tools --> Internet Options, type in the address of the page you want or if your'e already at that page click "use current", click apply, then ok.

hth

And that worked too! I went to that little house up in the right hand corner to set my home pages....but it wasn't getting it!

Got it now!;)

Kindredspirit
06-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Ed I think we were typing at the same time! :D

Exact moment!!:)

Kindredspirit
06-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I've only be using Vista for a week or so myself but here it goes...at least untill someone corrects me:D

Beats me, Ed...I have been using it for 5 hours! lol!

Try :
mouse right button, personalize, screen saver, chage power settings and then on the select power plan, open the option change power settings under the plan you have highlited(balanced,power saver, high performance). On the Edit Plan Settings screen open the drop down menu with the reads "Put the computer to sleep" and choose never.

Yup. That'd be it! I was looking for "properties".....thought I was still in XP!

Thanks, you two ~ totally appreciate it!:angel:

phidelt85
06-15-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm getting a laptop for father's day and it comes with Vista. Not too enthused about the Vista portion but I guess we'll see how it goes. Wish they still came with XP pro.

Kindredspirit
06-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey Jose ~ Yeah...I am still playing around with Vista ~ a laptop for Father's Day, huh? Well, aren't you special!!:D

bgbdwlf2500
06-15-2008, 09:05 AM
i bought my fiancee a laptop with Vista awhile back. It has its issues but for the most part not too aggravating.

I heard Microsoft junked it though, guess until there is something new they will continue to install Vista..

Ed13
06-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm getting a laptop for father's day and it comes with Vista. Not too enthused about the Vista portion but I guess we'll see how it goes. Wish they still came with XP pro.

Feliz dia de los padres José:)

So far I'm liking Vista more than XP, but we'll se if any issues pop up.

phidelt85
06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey Jose ~ Yeah...I am still playing around with Vista ~ a laptop for Father's Day, huh? Well, aren't you special!!:D

LOL! It's a father's day/birthday pressie! So no complaints on my part.

Kindredspirit
06-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Well did ya get it? Pictures Please!!

Hey, Jose, my HP Total Care Advisor on Windows Defender, in Vista, keeps telling me "you are at risk".....as I don't have my firewall on ~

But ~

I have it on thru my Virus Protection, and you can not have two on....

Right?