PDA

View Full Version : USA - Connecticut

brewmaster15
06-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi all,
If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks,

al

brewmaster15
06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi all,

AL Sabetta here and I am a small hobbyist breeder in Northford, CT..located about 15 minutes north of New Haven CT.

always looking to meet other hobbyists.. You can Pm me thru the forum, or email me at brewmaster15@netscape.com

Take Care,
al

dmun24
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
HI I AM DENNIS MUNSON AND LIVE IN NEW FAIRFIELD CT YOU CAN ALSO REACH ME HERE

scolley
06-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey folks,

Stephen Colley from Westport sounding off. A discus novice and experienced algae grower, and am happy to help when I can.

My strong preference is that you PM me here - I do check. But if you don't hear from me soon enough, please shoot me an email at stephen.g@colley.org.

GrillMaster
06-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Mark Henry from Mystic, Ct. I also like meeting fellow hobbiest! You can shoot me a pm here or email me at bastalker@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to meeting others from the area! :)

D discus
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Al, I'm still around and in Stafford Springs. I'm still looking for Male RSG! I'm Dick Dulak E mail (rdulak@cox.net).

ashaysathe
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I am Ashay Sathe in Middletown, CT. You can PM me here and sure to get a response. I am new, learning and made mistakes probably fastest in the shortest period of time so can guide of what not to do ... may not mean everything else will be true !!!

rlghouston
09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi, my name is Rodger George Danbury, CT. I can be reached here or email rlgtexas@yahoo.com, I would like to meet and make friends with other CT discus people (also into angelfish) and Orchids, strange mix I know but I like them. Perhaps we could start a CT discus group or club. I go by the name rlghouston.

dpt8
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Rodger, Contact Ashay !! He is in Middletown Ct.We are going to have a meeting at his house Nov. 8th !! You should come. We do have a club for North East Discus and some raise angels !! David T

ashaysathe
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Roger,

Welcome to Simply. Here is the link for the meeting @ my house:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=471843#post471843

C U soon

Larry208
11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
My name is Larry and am new to raising Discus, if fact I am setting up a 75 gallon tank just for Discus. Does anybody know where I might be able to purchase about 8 Discus? Looking to buy young and various strains (mix).
:)

Thanks
Larry

brewmaster15
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
HI Larry,
Welcome to SimplyDiscus! :)Great to see another Discus nut in CT. I'm located in Northford if you ever want to stop by and talk Discus ...be happy to help you if I can. Let me know.

Take care,
al

Civic
02-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Hello Everyone. Name is Ian Arroyo from Hamden. Recently got infected with the discus bug. Al is keeping some discus for me until I come back from vacation around the middle of March. Hope to see everyone on our spring meet.. :)

mehran
02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi My name is Mehran and yes I am Discoholic.;) I am also an expert in growing any type of algae so if you have any problem and the algae is not growing to your expectation email me.
By the way I am living in Avon.
Regards
Mehran

scolley
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Welcome Ian! Welcome Mehran!

And Mehran, while I welcome the offer to help with our algae farming efforts, I feel quite threatened that someone nearby might actually be better at that than me. ;)

I hope to meet you guys in one of our NE Discus meetings soon. :)

mightymax860
08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
hi my name is juan i am also a discus novice email me minniemax@sbcglobal.net would like to learn about all types and strains as posible I am in enfield ct so if close and want to discuss discus you can count on me being intrested

Billy Vu
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I'm Billy Vu representing Danbury, CT 203! It's so great to have a discus forum like Simply. Best of all it's great to know that there are other people infected with the Discus bug in CT! If anybody ever want to talk discus or would like to sell/trade anything Discus related please e-mail me at hoang_hp84@yahoo.com.

Cheers,
Billy

Blackwater Aquaria
11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello My name is mike Deegan I have been a discus hobbyist for 19 years on and off when I retired 4 years ago I started working on a business I specialize in Discus and related products. My trade name is BLACKWATER AQUARIA:bandana:

dpt8
11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Mike, I've got to get back there sometime.. So many beautiful discus !! david T

Richweg
11-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Rich and I live in Fairfield. Started Discus back in January and after some trials and tribulations seem to have things under control (for now). Could be reached here or at richardweglinski@yahoo.com.

Billy Vu
11-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Mike remember to call/e-mail me when you get your shipment in. Finals and paper are coming soon and staring at my tank is the only thing that seems to relax me these days!

Billy Vu
11-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome to Simply Rich! If you get the chance you should definately give Mike a visit in Meriden. He's a gentleman and a scholar!

jberg583
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I love fish, and currently have 2 75's built into my wall. One is community the other is rift lake chichlids. I have a 100 gallon "bucket" with 3 oscars, and have just purchased a 180 Gallon tank which I plan on establishing as a discus tank. I just joined the forum, and have stayed up countless nights reading all of your post. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at the next NEDA meeting, or any other meeting that is available. I think its great that so many Discus lovers are in the NEast. Shoot me an E-mail if you have an event scheduled I'd love to attend.

John A. Bergin III
Niantic, CT
jbergiii@gmail.com

dpt8
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
John.. Great talking with you.. See you tomorrow.. David T

Billy Vu
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
John,

Welcome to SD. This is really great forum for discus lovers and aquarium hobbist in general. Aren't you glad that you're not the only one infected with the discus bug in CT?

All the best,
Billy

Eyecandy
01-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone... Well we finally sold the house in GA and around Thanksgiving moved to Killingworth CT... still getting used to the snow haha..Have had discus several times in the past as well as orangehead geophagus, angels, ca and africans... I'm a member of Simply, MFK and Cichlid-forum among others.. Had to trade the 120 gallon we brought out with us for a 55 that fit in the new home... so now starting a tank up again... right now it's sand and lots of driftwood and some bolivian rams.. not quite ready for discus yet... the tank needs to settle a bit first.. you know it's eventually gonna be discus again.. once bitten it's forever haha.. and living so close to Al etc I'm afraid there's no hope for me LOL..
Seriously, love discus and would enjoy meeting all of you... Hope to attend whatever the next meeting is. You can reach me thru the forum or email to bigredryder@comcast.net TC Sue

dpt8
01-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Welcome back to New England. I'm sure there will be a winter meeting soon. Too bad you couldn't make it to the meeting at my place last week. I was at Logees' greenhouse for a plant workshop yesterday in Danielson Ct. Is that near your neck of the woods ?? Meet you soon at the NEDA meeting. David T

Eyecandy
01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi David... Thanks for the welcome back to the land of snow and ice haha.... I know I missed your meet but we are still settling in... I live about 10 minutes or so from Al.. Killingworth is by Clinton and Madison by the shore.. Danielson is about an hour away I think.
I look forward to meeting you and everyone else as well at the next get together.. TC Sue

Billy Vu
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Sue,

Welcome to CT and I'm pretty sure you know by now that CT is the "hotbed" for discus. If you're ever looking for some great discus Al and Mike from Blackwater Aquria is like a 10-15 minute drive from your location. Oh yeah, I always have some discus for sale or trade if you're interested.

All the best,
Billy

treemanone2003
02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Hello all !!

It took me a while but I've finally found the CT thread. I see the last posting date was in 2010 and really hope to create more activity here now that it's 2014. As for me I'm in Bridgeport, right along the 95 corridor. Sure looking forward to creating some more flow here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audiko4
03-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Stratford, CT

Lilly
04-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Hello all....Glastonbury,CT

Had Discus for almost a year now with mixed success...I have learned the number one thing about keeping discus is.... it is ALL about the water! Do the changes or else:(

Anyway love these fish

Best to you all,
Lilly

Debow
11-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Hello from Waterbury, CT

vader2nd
02-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Hello everyone,
Name is Chris and I live in Plymouth CT, which is located in Litchfield County up in the Northwest corner so the state. Just getting started with the discus. Actually still getting my tanks set an in place, but can't wait to get the first group in a month or so.

brewmaster15
02-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Hello everyone,
Name is Chris and I live in Plymouth CT, which is located in Litchfield County up in the Northwest corner so the state. Just getting started with the discus. Actually still getting my tanks set an in place, but can't wait to get the first group in a month or so.

I Chris,
Welcome to the Forum! Nice to see another CT keeper here.:)

Hey you may be interested in this...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118909-It-s-time-NEDA-Meeting-anyone-APRIL-9-2016/page3

hth,
al

LJSmith
12-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Uh oh. I have been bitten by the Discus bug. Thankfully I happen to reside right in the middle of the CT Hotbed. Wethersfield, CT. I think a trip to Blackwater Aquaria might be in the works.

Yom
01-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Hi all, I am Dale. I have been an aquarist for over 30 years and have been keeping and breeding discus for over 20 years. For the last few years I have been more concentrated on the saltwater and reef side but recently decided to lean back toward discus. My son recently graduated UConn as a Marine Biologist so he is now the salt and coral guy and I can concentrate on the discus, constant water changes, high water quality, and breeding.

I have been around the site as a reader only for a while and decided that now that its winter I have some time to do some posting also. I live in Salem Ct, I am a retired Navy submariner and now a design engineer for new submarines. I have many other hobbies that keep me busy; especially in the warmer months. I enjoy motorcycles, Corvettes, motocross, ATV racing, soccer and hockey to name a few. I am a die hard Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguin fan(originally from PA).

Here are the current tanks up and running.....
100 gal discus display
(2) 55 gal discus divided breeders
29 gal discus baby/quarantine tank
20 gal long Ram/Kribensis breeder
55 gal multi purpose grow out/quarantine
265 gal saltwater predator tank
150 gal saltwater FOWLR
(2) 29 gal bio cube mini reefs
14 gal anemone clown fish tank
20 coral frag tank

RogueDiscus
01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Hi Dale and welcome to SD!

Yom
01-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Thanks!

more pics......

Kingdom Come Discus
01-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks for sharing all these nice pictures Dale. Welcome, there is no better place to be when it comes to discus info. Living in New England is a plus for discus people too. There are quite a few expert discus people up there. All great people!!!

Thanks again,
Kraig

AquaWoman
08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Hello from Manchester! It can't be all that weird to be into Discus and Orchids because those are two of my passions as well. I'm also a hobby Chicken Farmer, Grandmother, Wife and Member of the Windsor Marksman Association.

I'm fairly new to Discus but I've successfully kept alive 5 out of six for the last three years. I have one breeding pair with a Male who has eaten the eggs repeatedly. Not looking to seriously breed so just let them do their thing. I've been an Aquarist for most of my life and have kept both Marine and Fresh water tanks. Currently I have a 65 gallon Discus tank, a 55 gallon Fancy Goldfish tank, an 8 gallon planted nano cube with Tetras and a 20 gallon empty and a 10 gallon hospital tank.
I just today purchased a bag of Al's. Blackworms and am hoping my Discus will love them. I grew them out on a homemade beefheart mix, flakes, pellets and blood worms. I am wondering if I've developed an allergy to the blood worms though. I've started getting hives every time I get tank water on me. Think it's time to 86 the blood worms. Now that I've shared way too much information.... �� Just want to Thank Al and all members who have shared good info that have helped me in my Discus adventures.

Bethzb
08-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Hello from Manchester! It can't be all that weird to be into Discus and Orchids because those are two of my passions as well. I'm also a hobby Chicken Farmer, Grandmother, Wife and Member of the Windsor Marksman Association.

I'm fairly new to Discus but I've successfully kept alive 5 out of six for the last three years. I have one breeding pair with a Male who has eaten the eggs repeatedly. Not looking to seriously breed so just let them do their thing. I've been an Aquarist for most of my life and have kept both Marine and Fresh water tanks. Currently I have a 65 gallon Discus tank, a 55 gallon Fancy Goldfish tank, an 8 gallon planted nano cube with Tetras and a 20 gallon empty and a 10 gallon hospital tank.
I just today purchased a bag of Al's. Blackworms and am hoping my Discus will love them. I grew them out on a homemade beefheart mix, flakes, pellets and blood worms. I am wondering if I've developed an allergy to the blood worms though. I've started getting hives every time I get tank water on me. Think it's time to 86 the blood worms. Now that I've shared way too much information.... �� Just want to Thank Al and all members who have shared good info that have helped me in my Discus adventures.

Funny you should say that about the blood worms. I too have a reaction to them and have made it a point to wash my hands thoroughly after handling them. Seems odd about it being the tank water though. How much blood worm did you feed?

AquaWoman
08-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Funny you should say that about the blood worms. I too have a reaction to them and have made it a point to wash my hands thoroughly after handling them. Seems odd about it being the tank water though. How much blood worm did you feed?
Only one frozen cube a day. I can't think of what else would cause the allergic reaction. I'll know soon enough if it was the blood worms because yesterday was the last cube and I'm not buying any more. So once all of the water that was contaminated is gone I should see no allergic reaction after water changes. If not it may mean I'm allergic to Discus! ����

Bethzb
08-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Only one frozen cube a day. I can't think of what else would cause the allergic reaction. I'll know soon enough if it was the blood worms because yesterday was the last cube and I'm not buying any more. So once all of the water that was contaminated is gone I should see no allergic reaction after water changes. If not it may mean I'm allergic to Discus! ����

You could always try using surgical gloves when you need to work with the tank. My reaction is directly related to the blood worms, not the actual tank water. Of course with a 125 gallon, the amount of leavings would be diluted to nothing.

AquaWoman
08-14-2017, 12:54 PM
You could always try using surgical gloves when you need to work with the tank. My reaction is directly related to the blood worms, not the actual tank water. Of course with a 125 gallon, the amount of leavings would be diluted to nothing.
Yeah Thanks, I thought of gloves too but after reading some horror stories from people who developed asthma and swollen throats I decided to just stop using blood worms. It's just not worth the risk for me. I'm hoping my Fish like the FDBW.