PDA

View Full Version : Australia - Queensland

Rod
06-16-2008, 04:38 AM
Hi all,
If you want to be found by other hobbyists in your area you can list yourself and contact info here....This section will be state by state for the USA. If you want to start a thread please check to see if its already started ... If you start a Location Thread.. please follow the standard of Country First, then state or province etc.

Thanks

Rod
06-16-2008, 04:50 AM
G'day, I am long time fish keeper since 1978. I live in the bayside suburb of Tingalpa in Brisbane. I have approx 200 tanks, 40 or so just for discus. Always happy to have other discus lovers over for a look and a chat:)

Rod:)

2075turner
06-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Hi Rod,

Anytime you find yourself wondering around in Ontario, Canada,lol, stop by. I live in North Bay. If I should make it to Brisbane, I'll give you a shout!

Evelyn

Rod
06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I'll take you up on that offer one day Evelyn, Canada is definatly on my list of must see places. :D

Darren's Discus
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM
i'm from sunny Townsville North Queensland,I have been into discus on and off for over 25 years,just recently moved house and set up a new fishroom if you ever in the area drop in for a Rum and a chat !
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62225

cheers

2075turner
06-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi Rod,

Don't forget to pack some of theose georgeous blue turks, lol

Evelyn:)

Oh, I will probably be living in our nations capital, Ottawa, by then, so you'll have more to check out while you visit:)

April
07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
if rodney comes to canada..he has to start with vancouver. besides..we have the mountains and trees and ocean . and..we are closest he just has to set his raft afloat and it will end up here. just a bit more north . : ) if he takes a wrong current..well..south pole. brrrr..

Rod
07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
lol April, well i'll make sure i keep the rudder pointed north...as much as i'd like to see the south pole and all!!

It seems everyone i know has been to Canada, my parents, friends, countless cousins and relo's on my wifes side. I even worked with a canadian in a pet store for a few months, he was here backpacking, really cool guy, we got up to some mischief! Everyone loves the place, but say its bloody cold!! I guess i'd have to pack an extra jumper or 2?? LOL

Brengun
03-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi Rod, sounds like your aquariums would be a sight to see indeed.

I am just researching discus and haven't rushed in to buy any yet.
I live in Lowood outside Brisbane and have 24 tanks with mostly just small plecos.

They make for pretty boring tanks during the day as the plecos hide in their wood and caves and I look like I have empty tanks.

I own one angelfish who is a few years old. I don't mind angelfish as several decades ago I bred a pair and raising the fry was quite rewarding.

Discus though have me quite intrigued. I have seen a few in lfs but they don't look much at all like those in the photos displayed in this forum.
They are usually poor little huddled up things in the lfs which is why its taken me so long to really discover discus.

I will spend some time researching and absorbing everything in this forum and may give you a call someday Rod so I can see these beautiful fish in their best surroundings and go from there.

Rod
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Brengun,

Welcome to Simply discus, this is the place to come for discus info and to look at some great fish. :)

You won't regret keeping them, not only are they beautiful, they are fascinating to watch their behaviour. Not too difficult to keep either once you get the hang of them.

storm67
11-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi Rod

I live on the Gold Coast and have only recently begun to keep discuss originally to complement my planted tank however chose to buy a breeding pair from a local LFS here.

Managed to get 50 to about 1 inch with their first spawn in their own tank however lost them one by one without really working out why. They continue to spawn regularly but still no success. And here i was thining it was easy at first lol. Anyway just wanted to say hi as ive been looking madly on this forum for info to get my pair going. Hoping you will rate my fish in the uni for me too.

Regards Larry

Rod
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi Larry,

Welcome to Simply Discus.

Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a discus breeder, keep reading and learning and success will not be too far away.

I have seen your discus in the uni and will score them asap, first though i owe some people some photos and need to attend to some other matters, but will get to them soon. I normally devote a couple hours each week to scoring pics and will do so for your discus.

Regards

storm67
11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Thankyou Rod

Please take your time i appreciate that you give it for free. I would love to see ur set up one day.

Larry

Rod
11-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Thankyou Rod

Please take your time i appreciate that you give it for free. I would love to see ur set up one day.

Larry

Larry, you are welcome to come over next time you are in Brissy, just call first on 0405 253 533.

storm67
11-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks Rod I will be up there on the 7th 8th and 9th december so if i can fit it in i will contact u prior.

Thanks again

Larry

Rod
11-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Sounds good Larry, i'll be here on those dates. :)

Queenserpentine
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
HI all,

Good to see other Aussies on here.
Not from Queensland but a HUGE discus fan.

storm67
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey Rod, thanks for showing me around the other day was great to meet you.

I have been trying to pm you for dose rates on Paracide as we discussed but not sure if its working. if you see this could you let me know what rate you recommend.

Much appreciated.

Larry

billybob
09-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Been lurking for long enough, I should probably introduce myself.

I'm over at Wellington Point, Brisbane. Been into freshwater for about 5 years, discus 4 years and marine 9 months.

3 tanks, 1 of which the boss has banned me from putting discus in, however have plans for another tank so I can dabble some more in growing juvies or breeding one day.

I am generally lurking about on the forums as there is an army of helpful people on here with more experience and knowledge than myself, however I'm more than happy to help anyone locally.

Pete

two utes
09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Rod, l've only just noticed it, even though l've been a member here for a few years now.

I live in Melbourne Victoria, in the northern suburb of Epping.

I started keeping discus about 20 years ago, and had a break from them for awhile before rekindling my interest a few years back...luckily l stumbled across this great forum.
Hope to catch up with you all one day.

Cheers.

Joe

boxters
09-17-2010, 05:58 AM
hi guys im in sydney. i have a huge number of discus. always happy to help where i can. I have had discus for about 18 years and just cant get enough of them. I have some 11000 at the moment which consist of tank bred, wilds and Stendkers.

billybob
09-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Nice set up and website Boxters. I forget what we have in Australia sometimes, even though it can be hard to find at times.

keef
09-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Pete, Joe & Boxters. I have been around for a while but this thread seems to have passed me by. I'm Townsville and have been into and around Discus since I was a kid (my Dad kept them). My fishroom has been slowly taking over my dbl garage over the last couple of years since we moved here. Today picked up an 8ft x2ft x2ft growout tank which was the final nail in the coffin for the cars!

Good thread Rod.
Keith

Corbo
06-08-2012, 12:06 AM
I realise this is a very old thread but I am from central Queensland and just looking for where I go to get some discus from a local

Andy Hulbert
06-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Rod,

It's always good to talk to discus owners, I find that they are generally pretty nice people!

I currently have a couple of discus that I thought were a pair, so sold my other fish! They have been on their own now for around 2 months and still no real signs of breeding - in fact they are fighting! I have tried big water changes with cooler water and am feeding them well.

I don't suppose that you have (or know of) any decent fish for sale locally?

Regards

Andy

Kerrie
06-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Hi everyone, :)
I realize that this is an old thread too, just wanted to say g'day and add my name to the list as an Aussie from Australia, Queensland, Brisbane South-side. I have recently got into discus again after keeping planted tanked for many years. I was told back when that I could not keep discus in a planted tank so I switched over to other tropical plant friendly fish. But, since coming across forums like this I have brought my first 4 discus sub-adults. I would love to add another couple to the troupe, so I am putting the yell out to anyone with any of the following sub-adults from around 9-10+ cm. I am looking for blue turq, red spotted green, ring leopard, royal blue or will consider any other blue or green based discus.
Do you still breed or import discus Rod, if so I would love to grab some from you in the near future, I love the look of the fish bred by you :)
Thanks to you all for the wealth of info and friendliness that I have seen on this forum, and for rekindling my passion for this beautiful fish.
Cheers
Kerrie

Hibiscus Discus
05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
A quick introduction from Adelaide South Australia. I'm Dianne and have just joined the forum tonight. I've always loved discus but unlike yourself Rod I am a small time keeper of discus. I currently have a 3 foot JUWEL VISON 180 with 5 young discus. I recently moved on 4 larger discus opting to start over with a higher quality discus. Two of the previous 4 had significant stunted growth issues from the breeder and also terrible damage to their eyes which caused them to suffer significant vision loss. I purchase 6 young discus last Sunday. Worming on day 2. Just yesterday my tank experienced an emergency water change. I sadly lost my yellow checkerboard. All others are hanging in there and doing ok but it was a sickening experience. I took advice from a LFS. I was advised to add a cap of melafix to the tank each day for 3 days and then at each water change. I believe that was the cause as prior to me adding the 3rd treatment they were doing quite well considering all being new to the tank. I've joined the forum to learn from those that have experienced it all and know what works with discus. I did doubt adding more but thought ' surely they must know '. I still have signs of occasional fin clamping but after taking drastic steps to do such a huge water change yesterday It has more than likely upset the bio filter some what. Keeping a very close eye on parameters to monitor ammonia and small daily water changes. BIG scare and I'm very lucky I didn't lose the entire tank! Hoping on learning a great deal more from this forum :)
Cheers
Dianne

Buckshot
07-22-2014, 05:54 AM
Rod,

Do you still have all your tanks setup? I get to Brisbane fairly often and would love to have a look at your tanks.
I have a 8x2x2 and a 6x2x2 that I will be setting up shortly and after that I will be in the market for some discus.

Cheers Ryan

Buckshot
07-22-2014, 08:39 AM
G'day, I am long time fish keeper since 1978. I live in the bayside suburb of Tingalpa in Brisbane. I have approx 200 tanks, 40 or so just for discus. Always happy to have other discus lovers over for a look and a chat:)

Rod,

Do you still have all your tanks setup? I get to Brisbane fairly often and would love to have a look at your tanks.
I have a 8x2x2 and a 6x2x2 that I will be setting up shortly and after that I will be in the market for some discus.

Cheers Ryan

a.person61
07-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Good day everyone i also see this is a old thread but just wanted to add my name it the auzzie list. Im from the border of NSW and VIC i have been keeping tropical/coldwater fish for about 2 years i am currently saving for a new 510L discus tank.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Rod
07-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Rod,

Cheers Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Only discus tanks these days :)

If you want to come and look, call first on 0405 253 533 to arrange an appointment. Or you can email me at fishmaniac@bigpond.com or find me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/295885943918746/

Best regards

Rod

a.person61
07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey rod how much would u pay for 1 4inch discus?

Rod
07-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Hey rod how much would u pay for 1 4inch discus?

I would never buy just 1 4" discus!

a.person61
07-26-2014, 01:54 AM
And so you shouldent but if i wear to get 4 how much would it cost?

Buckshot
07-26-2014, 05:30 AM
And so you shouldent but if i wear to get 4 how much would it cost?

Too many variables to list, the breed, colour, quality etc etc etc...

timmy82
07-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Rod will have another shipment coming in the next month or so, pop him an email and he can put you on the list depending what strain they are the price varies.

a.person61
07-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Rod will have another shipment coming in the next month or so, pop him an email and he can put you on the list depending what strain they are the price varies.

email sent

Nagmad
08-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Hi everyone, I'm in NSW near Sydney, I am constantly learning more and more and after purchasing several discus ended up with a breeding pair and have had to work backwards to set up a tank for them, as it started out a community tank. My breeding pair now in their own tank have decided to fight over who looks after the eggs, so hopefully I can find some answers on here about some issues I have come across,

Departure
01-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Hello I thought to introduce myself, I am in Perth Western Australia, We don't have many discus breeders or importers here. There is only 1 guy I know who sells high quality discus which he gets from the eastern states who gets them imported from forrest. Anyway I have 11 discus ranging in size and bought them all from him. I want to one day setup a breeding tank and breed the forrest discus I buy from him and perhaps sell/trade to like minded hobbyist here in Perth who want quality discus without the huge price tag we have to pay here for them. I have had the layout of the "discus room" in my mind for the last 2 years and have gone over many idea's to make it work and keep the discus at the highest possible healthy condition I can. I have really enjoyed keeping discus since moving over from African cichlids, I have been keeping discus for only 2 years but I knew when I got my first discus that this is the fish for me to keep. I kept Africans for 5 years before moving to discus.

Dlskerman
05-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi Rod, I live in Dalby Qld, next time I'm in brissy I would absolutely love to come see your setup.

myster619
01-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Hello from Sydney, Australia!