PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter won't stop floating! lol

number1sixerfan
06-17-2008, 02:59 PM
I have two of the largest hydro sponges and they will not stay on the tank floor. They continue to float, even with the base. How do you all keep them down on the tank floor?

number1sixerfan
06-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Or will they just sink in a few days or hours time?

tedsdiscus
06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
the only thing i can think of is to give them a couple of squeezes to soak up some water. Or could it be possible that your air is just way too high ? Doesn't seem to be possible.

Ted

number1sixerfan
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Well I kept squeezing until they sank. Still one keeps slowly moving due to the air pressure. I will turn it down. I'm using the super luft pump.

Kenny's Discus
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Richard, use both hands to simultaneously squeeze out as much bubbles as you can while the sponge is submerged. You should only have to do this a couple times at most for it to stay firmly on the bottom. Gotta work harder my friend lol...:D

Kenny

MostlyDiscus
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
My hydro 3s will float when there is excess air in the water via powerhead with air tube into my pump intake. They sink otherwise.

number1sixerfan
06-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Richard, use both hands to simultaneously squeeze out as much bubbles as you can while the sponge is submerged. You should only have to do this a couple times at most for it to stay firmly on the bottom. Gotta work harder my friend lol...:D

Kenny

I got it. lol

Unfortunately though, the pump I am using just quit on me. It's brand new and has only been working for 20 min. I'll keep messing with it, but it seems dead. I just have had bad luck recently:D.

MostlyDiscus
06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
umm I think Kenny meant sqeeze the filter not the pump..... *Hulk smash*

number1sixerfan
06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
umm I think Kenny meant sqeeze the filter not the pump..... *Hulk smash*

Yea, I know that. lol

That's how I got them to sink, but squeezing the pads. I was just stating that my pump is acting up.

It's a brand new coralife luft sump and it goes through spurts where it stops pumping air. It even cut off earlier. It's getting warm, which makes me suspect that it may be overheating. Anyone else that uses these pumps have an idea what's going on?

number1sixerfan
06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Well after taking the pump apart and putting in back together it magically started working perfectly. We'll have to see what happens from here.