PDA

View Full Version : My poor blue diamond

singhamanb
06-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Please help I dont know what to do!!!!!

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2.5 inch blue diamond from big als (2 weeks in current tank) is hiding behind driftwood and not eating. Started 2 days ago. Didint notice aything abnormal at the time.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Not eating, clamped fins, hiding.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Nothing

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon 2 month, with cycled old eheim 2213. 4 discus2x2.5" + 2x3", 7 glass catfish 2", 4 silver hatchets 1.5", 2 sterbay cories 1".

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

changing 25% every 3 days. half bare bottom, half gravel with driftwood and 3 plants. Water dechlorinated but not aged.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __29.5C___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __10__

- well water __no__

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

4 silver hatchets added 5 days ago, QTed.

White Worm
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
To start with, you should up your w/c's. 25% every 3 days may not be enough. With a new addition, it will take some time for it to settle in. Did you qt the new discus? Good food, 50% w/c every 2 days and watch for a little bit. JMO. How long is your qt?

singhamanb
06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply
I quarantined the discus for a week and it was doing fine and eating pellet and flake food. I just only recently tried feeding them FBW hikari brand.
I will try to do more W/C, as you say, 50% every two days. I also upped teh temp to 30. He has been worsening over the two days though and I did a W/C yesterday. I am so worried...

With a bare bottom tank would i have to syphon everyday? I usually only keep gravel tanks and this is my first albeit partial bare bottom.

White Worm
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
QT should really be more than 1 week. You would have more time to watch for illness with a 3-6 week QT. You may have to take further action depending on symptoms and how fast this discus gets worse. With all the changes you have made in the last week, you could have introduced something.