PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy?

jgentry
06-20-2008, 02:25 PM
I have been looking for a good deal on a large aquarium and think I found a pretty good deal. I can get an allglass 220gallon with dual corner overflows, stand, tank, glass top, and lights for $1150. This is the cheapest I've found anything over 200g. Is this a good deal or should I wait a while longer and see what else I can find. Ever other 200+ gallon tank I've found has been over $1300. This one was just maked down from $1329.

So, for anyone else who has searched for that big tank of your dreams. Is this a good deal?

gotfish?
06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
if you dont really need it yet, i think you should wait a bit more. i just sold a 300 gallon 1 inch thick acrylic for 500. big tanks are'nt really easy to get rid off, so people tend to get fraustrated and would sell them cheap, pass on some deals for now and wait for the next best thing

jgentry
06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
I've looked at several used tanks but none of them were in very good shape or if they were the person wanted way to much for them. This is the cheapest with in 200 miles of me that I've found used or new. With a new tank at least I get a warrenty and some peace of mind. All of the used big used tanks are always reef tanks that the person wants a few grand for because they wasted twice that much in it. I'm trying to be patient, but man I want a big tank bad.

DiscusOnly
06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Where are you located?

Are you sure it's an All-Glass 220? I didn't think All-glass made a 220 gallon tank. I know Perfecto (Marineland) does.

jgentry
06-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm in the Nashville, TN area. The guy at the store said it was allglass, but it very well could be a perfecto. I haven't looked at it yet, I was going to drive up tommorrow and check it out. I've bought several tanks in the past from this store and always got pretty good deals and have never had a problem with them before. The do carry both brands, so it probably is perfecto.

DiscusOnly
06-20-2008, 06:36 PM
If that's the perfecto 220 gallon with overflow, it's probably the X-high one. That's a good price. The only concern is the height. The x high tanks are nice but they are 30" deep, a pain to service and it's going to be extra heavy. I believe the glass is much thicker when you jump from 24" - 30".

I would say go for it but I would skip the stand and build one myself. The tank only is about $650 top.

plecocicho
06-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Look for scratches and how was it glued. The age of aquariumis also important. Old aquariums were usally glued with transparent silicone glue. Algae can attach on transparent, move in inner layers and so slowly dissolve silicone, which is a recipe for a disaster.

DiscusOnly
06-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh.. I forgot to ask.. This is new correct? If not, it's not a good deal. Used large tank are usually 50% or less of their value.

jgentry
06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, it is new. I ran to the store tonight to check it out. It is a perfecto 220 gallon. 72 X 24 X 29 are demesions of it. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and deside if it is exactly what I want. It looked huge, after seeing it I'm not sure I'm going to be able to not get it.