PDA

View Full Version : Crisis:A plea for blood.

ShinShin
06-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Hello all,

Does anyone ever wonder where all the blood comes from that is transfused daily, saving thousands of lives? It all comes from willing donors who share the gift of life for those in need. The problem is that while back in the 50's and '60's many Americans felt it was one of their civic duties to donate, today, people don't necessarily think that way. The population is increasing, blood usage is increasing, but donors are decreasing.

Many folks are unaware that most of the donations we receive today in our blood centers across the USA come from high schools and colleges. It is summertime now. Schools are out. So all these young donors are not donating like they do from September thru early June. Supplies already are crital because of losing these donors for the summer. Now, with the mass flooding in the Midwest, supplies are taxed beyond our supply. Surgeries are being cancelled because of lack of blood.

The blood center where I work (in the lab) had to beg TV stations and radio stations to air pleas for blood. We can't get any. The Midwest can't get any. It is time to step up and donate.

You may say that you don't live in the Midwest, what good can I do them? Chances are your area needs blood, too, but, even if they don't, blood centers share resources in times of crisis. Your donation in Florida, Maine, New Mexico, or Washington, DC, could save the life of an American in Iowa or Missouri.

All blood types are needed, especially type O. O pos or neg, it doesn't matter. Type O pos can be given to any blood type the is rh pos, and Oneg can be given to anybody at all. If you are type Oneg, CMV neg, your's is the most needed. It is the universal baby blood.

I implore all those who can donate, to please do so. Do it now. Then do it again in 56 days, and 56 days later. Some centers, like ours, have a double unit donation, where you can donate 2 units at once, every 112 days. Only the red cells are taken. Blood plasma is returned to the body during the donation process. It is quite interesting in how it is done.

Thank you for reading. Now, go donate. ;)

Mat

RandalB
06-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Mat,
Any websites you know of that can direct people to donation centers?

I'm O neg and I go every other month.....

RandalB

Ryan
06-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm not allowed to donate.

korbi_doc
06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Mat, don't know if my age disqualifies me...have donated in the past often, but not lately....now that I'm feelin' better maybe I could....have no idea where in this area it is.....

Dottie

Kindredspirit
06-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Why?

yim11
06-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Why?

Could be similar to my situation - I'm B- and have always been told not to donate unless called by the blood bank. IIRC it's because they don't store large amounts of this type and call donors when it's needed, but ShinShin would know more about that than me. It's worked for me for many years since donating is not my favorite activity (no offense, just hate that needle) and I've gone 98% of the times they called.

Thanks,
-jim

digthemlows
06-24-2008, 08:32 PM

I can't either, but it's because I've gotten a tattoo within the last 6 months.

brewmaster15
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reminder Mat...Its been a long time since I donated Blood... I'll have to change that....

If you go to this webpage...

https://www.givelife.org/index_flash.cfm?&gclid=CJ-Fj8fKj5QCFQEnGgodEE69gg

and type in your Zip code....you should find a location near you in the USA.

-al

ShinShin
06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
The Blood Centers of America is another option. I spoke to them today, and their web site does not contain a section of their members and their donation centers. They did think it was a great idea and are going to look into it.

Independent blood centers and the Red Cross do not always work well togther. Most major cities have one or the other. Local hospitals could tell you where they get their blood supply.

Mat