PDA

View Full Version : Planaria?

luminary88
06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
is it life-threatening? There seems to be a sudden build-up of it on my glass. Probably about 15-20 dots spread throughout the tank. I'm gonna do some water changes. But was wondering if it's life-threatening to the fish. Thanks

Don Trinko
06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
they are harmless to the discus but they do indicate possible overfeeding or other reasons for to many nutriants in the water . Don T.

luminary88
06-22-2008, 08:30 PM
thanks Don. Yeah, I've had a neck problem and have been reluctant in doing water changes since I have to carry buckets of water. Plus, I think my filter is due for a full cleaning. I just did a %50 WC with a heavy gravel vac and scraped the sides of tank with some Grapefruit Seed Extract. I only see one or two on the glass now.

Don Trinko
06-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Get a cheap storage tnak and a pump and do away with the buckets!! I think we all started with buckets but it is a lot easier with a syphon to remove and pump to refill . Don T.

steve.ryall
06-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Plus, I think my filter is due for a full cleaning. .

Not sure if I like the sound of that..........you have to rinse out in tank water once in a while, but not a full clean. Doing that will get rid of all your bacterial filtration.

BSW
06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
luminary88 -
I know there is many more people with much better experience here than me but, I had some kind of funky red worms in my filter and substrate once (fliped me right out !) , I have a fully planted tank. (harder to clean) My importer put me on to Formalin once a month or so. Yep it does set back your filters, but so does big cleaning, and I'll tell ya what, I haven't had nothin' since !!! just keep up with the water changes, Yeah it will do Planeria too. It's just been a good regime. But Planeria is usually a result of over feeding. And while they won't "hurt" the fish per-say, they will irritate the crap out of them !!! I ain't found nothin that eats that stuff either, unless it's saltwater criters.
You might want to try it. I use a 3% formula.
BSW