PDA

View Full Version : What Would you Cassify these as?

hieu45
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
These discus are turquoise I'm sure, but I haven't seen any with the broken patterns and blue spots on a red base color. They almost look reverse of leopards. What do you think?

Rod
06-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Those spots and broken lines usually join together to form stripes as they mature. I love the spotty pattern and try and breed them but they almost always turn striated. Good luck with your discus, they look nice.

Rod

hieu45
06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the Compliment Rod. I didn't know that the spots could still form striations. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. They are a Turquoise X Cobalt cross. I wonder if any will turn out full body cobalt.

Rod
06-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the Compliment Rod. I didn't know that the spots could still form striations. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. They are a Turquoise X Cobalt cross. I wonder if any will turn out full body cobalt.

Yes, its possible you will get a few close to full body color, but i bet most will be more like regular turks. I hope you don't mind but here is a pic of some discus that were from a cobalt x turquoise. I had these quite a few years ago now...

ewok
06-23-2008, 07:16 PM
checkerboard turqs? ;)

doc3toes
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
sorry i get lost in all the strains. Rod, those are very nice. if there is blue base with little to no red striations is that a cobalt? and how does that differ from a BD and ocean green? I guess the greens are solid and derrrived from green discus, and BDs are solid and derrived from blue discus and turks a cross? makes my head spin! Reason i ask is i have 2 stendker "BTs" that have almost no pattern, so are they still BTs? I want to sell them but not sure what to call them. Sorry to hijack the thread, seemed like a reasonable progression.

hieu45
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow Rod those are some really beautiful discus. I hope some of mine end up just as nice looking. I have a question though, one of the pair that created these discus has the wild black bands on the dorsal and anal fins, like the ones in your picture, but none of the offspring have them. Is it possible that the bands could still appear later, or do they usually have them as juveniles?

Rod
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
sorry i get lost in all the strains. Rod, those are very nice. if there is blue base with little to no red striations is that a cobalt? and how does that differ from a BD and ocean green? I guess the greens are solid and derrrived from green discus, and BDs are solid and derrived from blue discus and turks a cross? makes my head spin! Reason i ask is i have 2 stendker "BTs" that have almost no pattern, so are they still BTs? I want to sell them but not sure what to call them. Sorry to hijack the thread, seemed like a reasonable progression.

I believe cobalt refers to the color, that intense mettalic blue is what makes them cobalt.....although most people also include solid color as another requirement and call mettalic blue striateds as brilliant turquoise. I call these striated cobalts as Cobalt blue turquoise. Bd and ocean green there days are very simialr animals, the proper old day og is a turquoise colored solid patterned discus (eg green colored cobalt) where as bd is a mutant barless solid blue discus. The norm these days is to call turquoise colored bd's as ocean green but my eyes cannot tell the difference. Blue turquoise again can be solid color (like yours)or striated with very fine red/brown marks. HTH

Wow Rod those are some really beautiful discus. I hope some of mine end up just as nice looking. I have a question though, one of the pair that created these discus has the wild black bands on the dorsal and anal fins, like the ones in your picture, but none of the offspring have them. Is it possible that the bands could still appear later, or do they usually have them as juveniles?

As they mature the black band will likely show just like in my pic. But especially when they are breeding, will the black band show through the most.

Rod:)

doc3toes
06-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks Rod, that clears it up - for now! cheers.