PDA

View Full Version : gill flukes or bacteria

Kevin22
06-28-2008, 04:21 PM
hope anyone can help me out, is it flukes or bacteria, is there any other medicine should I use except Prozi.thanks

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

7 wild browns, 5" to 6" size, they were eating well and very strong, 3 weeks ago, some start became picky on food, so reduced feeding, later some scracth themselves a lot, eat less. one with one gill moving, stopped eating, treated with Prozi for one week, back to food again, but others got the same problem later, one not eating, others eat flakes, but less than before, some with one gill moving, sratch themsealves. I dosed Prozi 3 times in 2 weeks. no approvement in gill problem. raised the temp from 29 to 31 degrees, they seems more active, but no improvement on gills.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

no visible body damage or parasites, active, poop is normal

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Prozi pro and salt

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

90 gallon, couple months old setup

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% WC twice a week, sillica sand and driftwood in tank

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 29, now 31
- ph 7.0

- ammonia reading 0
- municipal water tap water

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

add new branches and plecos a month ago, all QTed

seanyuki
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi Kevin,

Perhaps post some pictures of the fish.I suggest using PP solution and maybe someone here could comment on it.

Cheers
Francis

Kevin22
06-29-2008, 02:35 AM
picture would be no use, since they look normal.
PP solution?

Hi Kevin,

Perhaps post some pictures of the fish.I suggest using PP solution and maybe someone here could comment on it.

Cheers
Francis

Bluemarlin
06-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I would not use PP (potassium permanganate) unless that's a last ditch effort and you know how to use it.
I have not had much luck with Parzi pro myself but that's me. others say great things about it, I stick with the pure powder once every 4 days for 3 weeks.
It sure sounds like classic fluke symptoms to me.
If you have a microscope or access to one take a scrape flukes are easy to see.

Also post the rest of your water peramaters, nitrites and nitrates.
your filter may not be cycled all the way or ajusting to the bio load with a 2 month old tank.
Up the W\C as well 50% 2 times a week is not enough.

Kevin22
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
the setup is 2 months old, but tank and filter are over a year, so fully cycled for sure.
about water change, except BB tank with beef heart feeding, I think 2 of 50% should be more than enough.
thanks for the input, I won't use the PP powder on fish as well,, just bit too harsh

I would not use PP (potassium permanganate) unless that's a last ditch effort and you know how to use it.
I have not had much luck with Parzi pro myself but that's me. others say great things about it, I stick with the pure powder once every 4 days for 3 weeks.
It sure sounds like classic fluke symptoms to me.
If you have a microscope or access to one take a scrape flukes are easy to see.

Also post the rest of your water peramaters, nitrites and nitrates.
your filter may not be cycled all the way or ajusting to the bio load with a 2 month old tank.
Up the W\C as well 50% 2 times a week is not enough.

Moon
06-29-2008, 10:43 PM
I use PP with no problems. One treatment lasting 4 hours and the fish turn around completely. During the treatment there is some stress. As soon as the treatment is finished they look good.
I've also used FMG with good results for gill flukes.

Kevin22
06-30-2008, 01:09 AM
FMG? what is it?
thanks

I use PP with no problems. One treatment lasting 4 hours and the fish turn around completely. During the treatment there is some stress. As soon as the treatment is finished they look good.
I've also used FMG with good results for gill flukes.

seanyuki
06-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi Kevin,

It's formalin and it's illegal to buy it in Canada.

Cheers
Francis:)

FMG? what is it?
thanks

Kevin22
06-30-2008, 04:22 AM
thanks, nobody uses full names anymore.

Hi Kevin,

It's formalin and it's illegal to buy it in Canada.

Cheers
Francis:)

Graham
06-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Not sure about BC but formalin can be bought here in Nova Scotia and products like Quick Cure and Ick Cure which are F&MG based are sold most everywhere. Generally speaking when any of us refer to F&MG, formalin and malachite green we are referring to manufactured pre mixed products.