PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperature

pinkjello
06-30-2008, 02:11 AM
I have a question about temperature,

I have kept my temps for my discus at 86 for years. Recently I put two heaters in the tank as I know one is getting old so I want to make sure the heat is maintained, and I have been trying to regulate the temp for a few weeks, and 3 days ago the temp rose to 90, which I panicked..but when I looked at my discus I found all my discus to be incredibly happy, happier then I have ever seen them! I sit and watch them for about an hour a day (sometimes more) - 10 min here and there to watch for any changes in behavior and they are still as happy as can be in this high temp. They come to me running every single time I walk past the tank looking for food..and I feed them about 5 times a day..and the food is gone in minutes. When the temp is lower, around 86, they werent as happy, didnt eat as well, their fins werent as high as they are now in the higher temp. They are breathing just fine, look completely relaxed..and having fun with each other..it really is amazing to see.

has anyone experienced this with having a higher temp??? It is harmful to keep it at 90..? I turned my heater down just a touch to see if their behavior changes.

Any comments would be welcomed..thx!

Solo707
06-30-2008, 02:26 AM
My temps are in the higt 80s and you're right, they do seem alot happier...
I do think that the high temps might increase the metabolism in your fish and they might poo alot more.
If your tank is planted, the plants might not take to the higher temps though.

pinkjello
06-30-2008, 02:37 AM
I dont have any plants so I dont have to worry about that. I guess my main concern was if the high temps are harmful. I feel much better now thankyou!!!

gmccreedy
06-30-2008, 08:28 AM
This is a happy mistake, but you can use a controller to assist in maintaining proper temps to avoid a catastrophy later.

subcooler
06-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Everyone will be happy until the Electric bill comes in!
I recently got a surprise with my bill(over 300$)
Sure makes one rethink setting up basement fish room!
I guess it's just the cost of having such beautiful fish!
Rob

FatFutures
06-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I've been told that a temp of 90 isn't bad for the fish when used theraputically. However, it does seem to boost up their metabolism and make them much more active. Kinda like they've been put into high gear. Now, running in high gear for long, indefinite periods of time can be harmful. I would think it would "wear" the Discus out before their normal life expectancy. Now, this is what I've been told, I'm not expert. But, it made sense to me at the time and it STILL make sense to me.

Does that make sense? LOL

William Palumbo
06-30-2008, 09:15 AM
I have heard in the past that if fish are happy in water that is 90+ degrees..it's probally sufferes from some type of internal parasite, and at that higher than normal temp., it immobilizes the parasite and brings reliefe to the fish...Bill

rogge26
06-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I am not an expert, but I do know when you increase the temperature, it increases the metabolism of the discus making them hungrier. This could be why they are eating more. Also, are you sure the temperature was 86 before? Many heater thermostats are off and so are most thermometers. Maybe it was not as warm as you thought before. This is why it is best to use a professional calibrated thermometer or a separtate heater controller to control temperature in your tank.

seanyuki
06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I am thinking of getting one of this...ans it;s under US $50

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/Raytek.jpg

The link

http://www.toolsource.com/mini-temp-noncontact-thermometer-laser-sighting-raymt4-p-92165.html?source=googleraytek

Cheers
Francis:)

I am not an expert, but I do know when you increase the temperature, it increases the metabolism of the discus making them hungrier. This could be why they are eating more. Also, are you sure the temperature was 86 before? Many heater thermostats are off and so are most thermometers. Maybe it was not as warm as you thought before. This is why it is best to use a professional calibrated thermometer or a separtate heater controller to control temperature in your tank.