PDA

View Full Version : spots/holes on face

iceterran
06-30-2008, 11:16 PM
My discus recently developed what look like little holes on their faces. I cant tell if they are holes or if they are just spots. Looks almost like little bubbles underneath the skin. I'm doing feeding 5-6 times a day and Wc every night. Recently the weather has been really hot and the tank has gone up a few degrees, could this be the problem? Does this sound like any known disease? What should i do?

jeep
06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Hole In The Head (HITH) is pretty common with discus and oscars. There can be many causes, but a frequent cause is poor diet and water conditions.

De-worming with metro and then panacur will help rid the intestine of nutrient robbing parasites.

One of the best ways to cure HITH is to keep the water as perfect as possible by doing regular water changes and feed a diet high in protein. Red Wigglers are one the best foods you can feed and can really help with HITH.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=31031

iceterran
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Jeep, I was away for the weekend so the lack of food/wc most likley caused it. I am usually good about daily WC and feed a wide variety of high protein foods. Would you recommend the medication? Is metro an abbreviation for something? sorry I'm still new to the hobby!(Discus)

Graham
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi Going away for a weekend would not cause HITH...this is a long term thing. While no one really knows the reason for it it generally considered to be caused by diet and water quality....fixing then generally cures it.

Since you're not really sure if this holes, spots or bubbles I would do nothing med wise. Can you get a clear closeup pic?

Metro is metronidazole, an antibiotic.

Graham

iceterran
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately I don't have access to a good enough camera that would capture the closeup. Is metronidazole something I could get at say, a drugstore? or is it made specifically for use in aquariums. Thanks

Graham
07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes you can get Metro at a drug store with a prescription but they may look at you funny if your a male......it's commonly called Flaygl and is used by women for vaginal infections ;):p:D

You can buy it at most pet stores , but I would not use it at this point

G

iceterran
07-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Sounds like I would have trouble getting that prescription =P Thanks for the advice and quick replies, greatly appreciated.