PDA

View Full Version : clorine and aging water

Don Trinko
07-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I did a little test, I set out a plastic bucket of tap water and tested for clorine. When I put the bucket out (5pm yesterday) the clorine was 1 to 2, This morning at 8 am the test showed no clorine. It's a pool test kit so I'm not positive that there was no clorine but there was none detected. The lowest color indicator was .1 to .2 and the results were lower than that.
Don T.

-gb-
07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Most chlorine will evaporate out of your water in 24 hours if aerated. It's chloramines that you need to keep a close eye on. It will not evaporate as quickly if at all. Call your local water treatment facility to see what they use.

Don Trinko
07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Luckily I have just clorine. I called to local water department and the did not know what cloraines were but they kne theydidn't add any! Don T.

William Palumbo
07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Chloramine is when ammonia is mixed in with chlorine. I live in Chicago...and the tap water has chloramines in it, and all the aging in the world would not get rid of it. Is when an ammonia remover is needed when making water changes...Bill

Ardan
07-05-2008, 06:53 AM
I would always still use a dechlorinator to be safe. there are times when the city will unexpectedly raise the chlorine amount and not all of the chlorine will leave the water with aeration. This happened to me and I lost some very nice discus, now I always use dechlor.

hth
Ardan