PDA

View Full Version : My surprise this morning: Eggs on siphon tube

Rick Hunter
07-04-2008, 11:43 AM
As I was changing the water this morning, I noticed that the same discus that were hanging out next to the siphon tube and discouraging other from getting close. Upon closer inspection, I noticed little tan eggs. The discus are only about 5 months old and didn't think anything will happen for at least another 3 months. I know that these discus weren't given any hormones because I got them from Cllff's Discus in San Francisco.

Now a few questions:

Should I set a 29 gal breeder tank for these two or wait a few months for these discus to mature? Currently they are in a 55 gal with 4 other discus. Is the bonding between mated pairs strong or will they chose other partners with other discus in the tank or may become intersted in each other if I don't seperate them? I doubt that I get any frys from the first few times they lay eggs because of their age.

Thanks.

Rod
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
5 months, wow thats young! :)

Sometimes young pairs are good breeders right from the start, but more often they are not and may need time. A lot of discus breeders prefer to allow them to grow some more in the community tank as it is possible the pair won't grow as much whilst breeding. Especially females can have a reduced appetite during breeding which in a discus so young will have an effect on overall size at full maturity.

Not really an answer i know :D lol But it is your decision!

Personally i try them really young, or not! More of a behavior thing with the young discus, if they look a bit overexcited (males especially) them i tend to not try them, but if they are more calm and sensible then maybe!!

hope that makes sense, and helps with your decision. :D

Rick Hunter
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Today I saw that the eggs actually hatched and about 40 frys are clinging to the siphon tube. I was surprised to know that the eggs were actually fertalized because the spraybar for the output of the filter was really close and I figured that the sperm would have been swept away.

I will turn off the canister filter so they won't get sucked up. I was going to leave the parents in with the frys and the other discus until I can setup another tank tonight.

Darrell Ward
07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I recently had a couple of very young fish pair up and breed as well. Quite a few eggs were laid. They are so young I thought they were never hatch, but most did. The parents seemed to be doing a good job guarding them, so I then thought, well maybe. Later, a good many had dissappered, until by the time they started swimming, only a few were left. Then they all dissappared. I'm sure one or both parents ate them. They still seem to be paired up, so I guess they will lay again. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble setting them up their own tank. The pair is mixed, so I guess the offspring would not be of much value.

noshow discus
07-06-2008, 01:23 PM
. The pair is mixed, so I guess the offspring would not be of much value.

I just know he doesnt really mean this:confused:

Darrell Ward
07-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Lol! What I meant was one parent is a Red/white, the other is a Leopard. So the offspring would not be a "known" strain.

Rod
07-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Today I saw that the eggs actually hatched and about 40 frys are clinging to the siphon tube. I was surprised to know that the eggs were actually fertalized because the spraybar for the output of the filter was really close and I figured that the sperm would have been swept away.

Yes that is written a lot, but i think it only applies to poor performing males. Good males closely follow the female and it makes no difference what sort of current you have (within reason, a whirlpool might be an issue), the eggs will be perfectly fertile. My own experience is doing nothing, ifs its a poor performing male he gets deleted from the breeding program anyway, i don't want to pass those traits along in my discus.!!

KimR
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
How are your pair now?

Rick Hunter
07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I noticed that the frys were gone last night. Not sure if the parents ate them or if they just died. The day before, the frys were swimming near the parents and some where on the other side of the tank.

The problem that I was having was trying to clean the bottom of the tank while the frys were swimming freely.

KimR
07-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I am sure your pair will spawn again, as mine do, one day I hope they get it right :)

Ah I see cleaning the bottom,that would be a bit of a problem.

DiscusDude85
07-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I also had a 5 month old ss lay eggs, I was blown away i thought that was too young?..

AADiscus
07-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Next time you might try not cleaning the tank until the fry are hooked up good to the parents. If you are on a routine cleaning maintenance then the tank should be pretty clean when they lay. Are you sure the fish are 5 months old? That sure seems young for a male to fertilize. Maybe not though. :)