PDA

View Full Version : New baby not eating

DiscusDude85
07-06-2008, 07:34 AM

Kindredspirit
07-06-2008, 08:01 AM
I would make sure the lights are off and keep up on your wc ~ sometimes it takes a while for new babies. He is alone in the tank?

DiscusDude85
07-06-2008, 12:14 PM
yeah he is alone, I will keep up on the w/c for sure.Still not eating dont really get it. Will keep you updated thanks.

Joe

endo213
07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
ure discus is goin to be stressed 4 a cuple of days , dont feed him 4 like a day or two , he will eat once he gets hungry ,mine did not eat 4 a week ,now i cant get them to stop eating .....

DiscusDude85
07-07-2008, 05:58 AM
He still isnt eating, Im going to go to my lfs and get meds, Ive always used meds from jungle labs, Contains prazi and metro, I know ive read alot on here about not doing the both. But its worked for me 3 different times now, You'd think i'd learn to stop getting fish from the lfs...... He is very active, Swimming all around the tank. Its like he wants to eat he will peck at the bw. His fins arent clamped, He isnt hiding and his color isnt dark in the slightest. Those are the typical signs of hex that im trying to look for and im just not seeing them. Hopefully he is in the very beginning and ill be able to revive him.

Joe

Kindredspirit
07-07-2008, 07:30 AM
He is very active, Swimming all around the tank.

Now Joe...why would you medicate him if he is not acting ill? Discus can go a long time without eating...esp in a new environment~

Those are the typical signs of hex that im trying to look for

I think you said it well here...."trying".......to look for! I am not saying you are wrong, but he is not showing any visible signs of illness?......happy, active...and you have only had him a few days.

Try some cbw and wait. Patience is they key with Discus, trust me...I know:D

Kindredspirit
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
FYI: I forgot to menton that you should think about getting a few more discus...one is never a good idea as Discus are schooling fish and are at their best in groups of 6 or more ~ :)

DiscusDude85
07-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh i have a whole tank full of discus, Im just qt him for the time being. I just bought him and as a rule of thumb i try to qt them. I love my discus and losing them to the plague or somthing crazy scares me so, I qt them for 2 weeks and observe them, Helps me to get to know the fish's personality a little better being in its own tank.Thanks all ill keep you up to date.

Joe

DiscusDude85
07-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Just a little update, He is eating. Not like a pig though! But it is a step in the right direction. As always you all were very helpful thanks so much.I appreciate your time and advice. Thanks again

Joe

Kindredspirit
07-10-2008, 06:51 AM
I qt them for 2 weeks and observe them

Joe

I am glad to hear you QT, Joe!!:D But two weeks is NOT nearly long enough ~ minimum 6 weeks ~ trust me.

Glad the lil fellow is eating!

DiscusDude85
07-19-2008, 07:19 AM
FYI: I forgot to menton that you should think about getting a few more discus...one is never a good idea as Discus are schooling fish and are at their best in groups of 6 or more ~ :)

Hey kindred, I know this post has been closed for a while, But i noticed somthing to back what you were saying.I bought another discus and put him in the qt tank with him, He perked right up! Was eating and swimming circles around the tank!. He has been eating like a pig now and his overall dimeanor is so much better, If hes happy now, Ive got 4 more discus coming on tuesday, One cobra and 3 torti shells. Thanks again

Joe