PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Spawning

malibudandy
07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I am new to discus and have 8 fish ranging from 3 to 5in in a 55 gallon bare bottom tank. To my surprise, two of the largest have paired out and just a few hours ago, one of them has laid over 100 eggs on the side of the tank, and the pair is standing guard over them. I am totally unprepared - don't have a spare tank, and don't have any experience rearing young. I am thinking that this bunch of eggs will not be able to survive. Any ideas?

William Palumbo
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
When I have a situation like that, I just leave them in the community tank...let them spawn a couple of more times...strengthen the bond between them..THEN I move them to their own tank...and adjust the water chemistry with RO water and then just sit back and wait for them to get it right. Nothing you can really do until the pair have babies feeding off of them for a few days....although possible, as with discus most thing are... the first spawns never are sucessful. It takes a few spawns before they start to get it right...Bill

malibudandy
07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Thank for the advice. I added a big piece of driftwood a couple of week ago, and the pH dropped all the way down to 6.0. Do you think that' what caused the spawning? Also, is 6.0 too low for discus? After a 25% water change, the pH goes back to around 6.5 or so.

William Palumbo
07-07-2008, 12:35 AM
ph changes and temp. changes can induce spawning activity. Many breeders use these two tricks to their advantage...Bill

endo213
07-07-2008, 07:39 AM
i had that same thing hapen,i used a spacer ,the fry went trew the little holes,but its nice to find out i have a proven pair,as soon as i moved them to their own tank they spaned again,this was just last night....

malibudandy
07-07-2008, 11:24 PM
How long was it from when the eggs were laid to when the babies emerged?

MostlyDiscus
07-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Babies hatch in 48 to 60 hours depending on water temp. 6.0 is fine for the ph. Sit back and watch and enjoy. If they spawn a few more times you should get some wigglers.

rogge26
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't have any good advice for you, but congratulations! I wish I was faced with the same problem.