PDA

View Full Version : Keeping tank warm in winter???

Yassmeena
07-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I am planning on starting a discus tank, but am a little concerned about tank temps in the winter. I have a submersible heater, but I live in MI where it can go to 0 degrees F in the winter, literally.

Will the heater keep my water temp up for the discus during the times of day that I am not home? During these times I turn the heat down to 55 - 60 F in order to save $ on astronomicle heating bills!

Apistomaster
07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Having warm water fish as Discus in such a cool space presents some special difficulties and I don't know of any solutions that are entirely satisfactory based on both aesthetic and practical considerations.

1. You can use enough heater watts to maintain your desired set point but the rate of heat loss and flow can produce a condition where the temperature is apparently correct as measured but the fish sense the constant heat loss. Indulging in some anthropomorphizing here, but it is similar to sitting in front of a camp fire and feeling warm enough on one hand yet you remain keenly aware it is cold all around you. Warm water tropical fish are used to the effects of both radiant heat from the surrounding environment and the high specific heat characteristics of large water volumes which minimizes the effects of heat loss. I find this difficult to explain well.

2. You can ameliorate this by insulating your aquarium but that is much easier to say than it is to actually do. I don't know how one can satisfactorily retrofit an aquarium with insulation without also making it a less presentable display tank.

3. Insulated aquariums with only a front double pane window are commercially available and are ideal for your conditions but I doubt you would like to know how much these aquariums cost.

4. There is one alternative you might find workable. A whole tank cover/blanket made out of
a high quality insulating material, could be used to cover your tank while you have the room temps set low. I would also have the lights on a timer so they are set to come on a few hours after the room thermostat is turned down to help heat the enclosed space of the covered aquarium.

I may be suffering a lack of imagination in trying to discuss a solution to your situation. All of my temperature control problems are at the opposite end of the spectrum. How to keep the water cool enough during the Summer. Either way, the technical solutions are there but just expensive; either heat your room more or in my case, buy an over sized cooling system.
It costs as much to warm a room as it does to cool a room. There are no free rides under the laws of thermodynamics.

Eyecandy
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi there... I'm with Larry on this one.. You can get those blue insulation sheets from Home Depot and cover three sides of the tank with those attached with velcro like I do... That way you can remove them from the 2 sides for viewing when the heat is on or in summertime. But I would also find one of those silver blankets they use for camping etc.. they are light weight and insulated.. Maybe the combo might work for you..HTH Sue

White Worm
07-13-2008, 02:53 PM
reflectix @ lowes.

Yassmeena
07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi there... I'm with Larry on this one.. You can get those blue insulation sheets from Home Depot and cover three sides of the tank with those attached with velcro like I do... That way you can remove them from the 2 sides for viewing when the heat is on or in summertime. But I would also find one of those silver blankets they use for camping etc.. they are light weight and insulated.. Maybe the combo might work for you..HTH Sue

Hmmm... I am trying to imagine my mom, father and husband actually thinking to cover my tank before they leave the house when I am already not home. Somehow, I can't see that reliably happening! Hmmm... what to do, what to do... :confused: