PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

corrosionjerry
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I purchased 3 Discus about 3 days ago... beautiful fish that are about 5" or so...

They are still not eating... what to do... I know this is common with new fish but when should this become a concern and what can I do to encourage them to eat ? How much food should I be trying to feed them / I have tried pellet / blood worms / brine shrimp so far!

ShinShin
07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I have had adult fish go a month before they ate. A month was not the norm, but a week isn't too uncommon. One thing to remember is that a fish will eat if it is healthy before it will starve itself to death. In most cases, the keeper becomes more traumatized than the discus does.

Offer them some food in the morning or evening, whichever is best for you to clean it up shortly after if not eaten. Eventually, they will eat. Mine always have.

Mat

BTW, jacking up the heat never did it for me, although people suggest it all the time.

corrosionjerry
07-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Do you think it would help to put some dither fish into the tank to make them feel more secure?

RyanH
07-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Do you think it would help to put some dither fish into the tank to make them feel more secure?

Discus are always more outgoing when they're in larger groups. You should never keep a group smaller than 5 or 6 fish if you can help it.

AADiscus
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
You could try feeding them live worms. You didn't mention what type of tank they are in, bb or planted. If they are in a planted tank then they are going to hide and might be eating when you are sleeping.

Don Trinko
07-16-2008, 05:43 PM
My 1st discus would not eat until I left the room. It took several months before they would eat as soon as I fed them. Now I can touch them when I clean the tank and they go nuts over FBW. (frozen blood worms) Don T.

corrosionjerry
07-16-2008, 09:09 PM
You could try feeding them live worms. You didn't mention what type of tank they are in, bb or planted. If they are in a planted tank then they are going to hide and might be eating when you are sleeping.

That group is in a bottom that has a fine layer of sand... and a couple of plants / Apongen and a crypt... I suspect they may be eating a little when I am not around as I left some pellet food in overnight a few nights back and it appeared as tho most of it was gone...

I just purchased a group of Juvineles from April that are in a bare bottom... got them yesterday and they are eating like pigs today... I do wish these others would do the same.....