PDA

View Full Version : First multi tanks rack

DiscusOnly
07-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I've been working on and off on getting my multi-tanks rack up the last 2 weeks. I picked up the tank today (75 gal are heavy for a person, gotta get some beer and bring a friend over next time).

Well I goofed! I built the stand thinking that a 75gal was 18" high.. I am at least 5" too low between the levels. The plan was to use the 2 lower shelves for the 4 75gal. This is one of my 2 racks. The other is only 50" wide. I may use move 1 shelf on this one and space the other one correctly.

Tropical Haven
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
So far your racks are looking really good, but I have one question to ask you. What type of fish do you plan on putting into that really small green tank that you have on the second shelf? :D:D:D

DiscusOnly
08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
So far your racks are looking really good, but I have one question to ask you. What type of fish do you plan on putting into that really small green tank that you have on the second shelf?

I couldn't get a filter system for the green tank. So it went to the recycle center. I figure I can always get more in the future..:D

I finally got all my albinos growout in the top 2 tanks. They are loving the space (I actually noticed more agression now that they are in a big tank). I am going to fill the bottom 2 tanks with my other adults discus for possible pairing. I am now working on automating the water change. Gravity draining these 75gal takes too long.

Here are some updated pics. The last picture shows the runt in my batch. This guy/gal just won't grow.

Darren's Discus
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Looking real good,fish look nice too.thank's for sharing.

cheers

Discus-Hans
08-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Nice fish, nice racks (those look familiar lol)

I would put your grow outs in the bottom and the adults in the top tanks

Hans

DiscusOnly
08-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Hans,

Thanks.. I am not going to try to take credit on the rack. Le'ts just say I've gone through yours and quite a few fish room post many times. I still couldn't get it right but I'll live with it for now. I Had to move the shelves 2 times and I still think I don't have enough room between them (I couldn't get the aquaclear 110 in).

Any particular reasons for having the grow out on top? I started the top tanks because I am still working on automating the WC and I don't have the right pump yet. The top shelf allow me to use gravity for drain while the bottom is a bit low.

Van

SriAngel
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Van,

Thats a really nice rack system you have setup. On the subject of your runt, if you were to put him in a tank by himself first and then introduce smaller discus so that he would be more dominant, he would catch up in size.

DiscusOnly
08-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Thats a really nice rack system you have setup. On the subject of your runt, if you were to put him in a tank by himself first and then introduce smaller discus so that he would be more dominant, he would catch up in size.

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't have anything smaller. These were all from the last batch of Juvie I got from Kenny. Not sure if this runt got picked on a lot or it's just a slow grower. I've experience 1-2 runt in previous grow out but they are almost caught up as they got to 5".

Tropical Haven
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't feel bad I have a runt from my LSS that never grew to its potential size but is one of the prettiest ones I have.

DiscusOnly
08-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I would put your grow outs in the bottom and the adults in the top tanks

Disregard my previous question. I took your advice and they look great! Thanks

Discus-Hans
08-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Vlam, no problem

Adults or bigger Discus feel better more off the floor, small ones close to the floor was never a problem for me,

Hans

seanyuki
08-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Vlam,

Nice stand....should have done one similar to yours or high end ones like Hans:p

My humble setup.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF0925.jpg

Cheers
Francis:)

Ed13
08-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Francis, that is a great looking set up! Any more pics?

seanyuki
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Ed.

Doing water changes now for the tanks will post some pics later today...
I have no high end discus to show off...just basic strains:)

Cheers
Francis:)

subcooler
08-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Van,
Nice setup.It was still in early stages when I came over.
Your discus seem to love the added room in new tanks.:D
Curious to see what you got going on in bowfront tank in living room??
If you need a hand with anything just let me know-I don't live that far away!
Rob

DiscusOnly
08-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Francis: I wished I have the space to put my tanks that way, you have a cool setup as well.

Rob: Thanks, I may take you up on the offer. I could have used some help on getting those tanks on the rack. :D

I still have 8 discus in the bowfront. I am planning on converting that to a planted tank. There is still lots of work to do on these tanks and I am working on the setup in the basement. I just hope I don't go crazy and get more discus with the new added space. Kenny's last shipment with those 8" was very tempting, I am glad they are sold out.

Van

FischAutoTechGarten
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Van,
Nice choice going with the 75s. Its the size I wish I had purchased initially after owning everything smaller and larger.
We've all goofed on our racks a time or two (or three). Yours looks quite nice.

Francis,
Nice setup as well. All of us that have contended with racks, would much rather have them laid out like you do if we had the space. No such thing as a Basic Discus..they are all majestic.

I'm starting to get the bug down here in Mexico lurking around these forums again. Moving my school and my home in the same house in a week or so for the Fall semester. Thinking with the simplification and reduced expenses...I owe it to myself to get a few Discus again...What's an 8 hour drive across the border to get a few from someone in Tucson or Phoenix?

Kenny's Discus
08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Hello Van,

Very nice rack setup you got going there my friend. I love the way you painted the wall behind the tanks and the resulting background effect, especially with the lights on.:) Very clever design I should have done the same with mine!

Have fun finishing the rest of the setup up, they really look great! :)

Kenny

DiscusOnly
08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks Kenny,

Haven't had the chance to talk to you a while. I know you have been been and stressed with your family situation. I a very happy to hear that there are positive news. I'll catch up with you when you get your next shipment in :D

I used the blue leftover paint from my son's room. My neighbors thought I was nuts when they saw me paiting my garage blue. Now that it's almost all put together, it's actually a very nice, calm peaceful room. My only regret was not doing the floor (should have used those racedeck garage tile). This is my first rack and it's very basic (no central air or filter system).

BTW.. Those red/white albino are getting big.

Van

korbi_doc
08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Van,
If you need a hand with anything just let me know-I don't live that far away!
Rob

Sure Rob, now that I'm down here in the boonies of Tn, y'all are there in the NJ shore, no-one here, sure do miss NJ tho, lol.....

Van, neat set-up, love it, looks great, so clean'n pretty...I'm still workin' on mine, have the new heavy duty steel shelving, just no help to move tanks...but yours & your fish are inspiring & motivates me to get it goin'...just keep adding on & get more, j/k...lol....

Dottie ;)