PDA

View Full Version : What is the Bible of Discus keeping?

sledge760
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I am switching my 180 gallon South American cichlid tank to Discus next month. First time with Discus. What book would be considered the best book for a beginner, but also cover advanced topics, with pictures, etc.?

CARY_GLdiscus
07-17-2008, 01:11 PM
WWW.SIMPLYDISCUS.COM Is all thats needed IMO

sledge760
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
WWW.SIMPLYDISCUS.COM Is all thats needed IMO

Yes I understand www.simplydiscus.com. How about in addition too?:)

Frankr409
07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
While not totally comprehensive, Jack Wattley wrote: "Discus for the Perfectionist" It does give insite into what other international breeders are doing.

Without a doubt though, this website is a fantastic resource, which like everything, should be tasted and tried.

MSD
07-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Its funny but true, no book on discus provides as much current info on discus and how to succeed with them as the forum. I have not seen any discus beginner books and I do NOT count the 50 year old Alexrod books on the subject. Even the Jack Wattley books are not as current and complete as the forums and their sticky posts and current posts. Its all you need. And your answer came from Cary Strong, look that name up on here. :D
No disrespect to Jack Wattley, the "father" of our hobby as he is a master of his craft, and its trailblazer.

sledge760
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I did see "Discus for the Perfectionist" and it is from 1992. Any fishkeeping practices has sure changed since then. Better stick with this site.

Moon
07-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Discus Health by Untergasser is a good reference book to have.

ShinShin
07-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Discus for the Perfectionist and Yeng's Penang Discus, 2nd edition would be my 2 suggestions. Au's Back to Nature Discus book is another.

Current? Discus are discus. Wattley forgot more about discus than 99.99% of the online posters ever knew. If you follow his "outdated" advice, you'll be a huge success.

Mat

Frankr409
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I did see "Discus for the Perfectionist" and it is from 1992. Any fishkeeping practices has sure changed since then. Better stick with this site.

Actually, you would find the information to be tried and true in 1992 as it is now. Before you pan the book, you should actually read it from cover to cover. It has technical information on RO systems for example, at a level of detail that I have never seen here, or in any other website.

Taste it all.

Frankr409
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Discus for the Perfectionist and Yeng's Penang Discus, 2nd edition would be my 2 suggestions. Au's Back to Nature Discus book is another.

Current? Discus are discus. Wattley forgot more about discus than 99.99% of the online posters ever knew. If you follow his "outdated" advice, you'll be a huge success.

Mat

Lol I couldn't agree more about Wattley, he has indeed forgotten more than most people could ever hope to know. I'll have to look for the other book you recommended, had not found that one yet. Thanks for the tip Shinshin

namasgt
07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
if you really want to buy a book try:
"Discus the Naked Truth"
by andrew soh
i dont have this book but a local breeder whom her discus has won some show, told me to buy this book, she told me she would only recomend this book since it came out only a few years ago, so its fairly new. then she recomended simply discus too.

seanyuki
07-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I just bought "Trophy Discus" by Dick Au....I do recommend it and was published
not too long ago.I am also looking forward buying Andrew Soh's book the Naked Truth.

cheers
Francis :)

Apistomaster
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM
All of the references mentioned are valuable resources. The forum is useful as a real time supplement for specific responses to immediate concerns.
If you want to set up a wild Discus aquarium then Bleher's Discus has the most info on specific discus habitats that are useful to know. I think buying all the reference materials you can afford and consider the whole and then don't be afraid to draw your own conclusions. If we all followed the herd, we would never learn anything new.

CARY_GLdiscus
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM
BOOKS COST MONEY + TREES : )

Again all You ever need IMO is WWW.SIMPLYDISCUS.COM

Cary Gld!

April
07-18-2008, 03:56 PM
or cary strong..he knows more than i forgot also. : ) save your money for discus. i have all the books..cause i like the smell of paper. . but i learnt all my info from this forum and cary . cary got alot of fone calls from me in my infancy. now i dont have to harrass him quite as often. www.greatlakesdiscus.com.

Apistomaster
07-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Cary Gld!

Maybe I'm old fashioned and still think It isn't quite time to give up on books.
Forums are an excellent supplement but the information is not arranged in the kind of form one can ponder nor do forums provide much info on the habitats. Only about 10% of the transient content gleaned from posts has much value. Every beginner or intermediate Discus keeper/breeder needs a foundation on which to build which isn't constantly shifting.
The trees used for paper are farmed these days so that is a spurious reason for not buying a few good books.
In the end, it doesn't matter to those like you or me who already have learned most of what we need to know and I am sure you began reading books about discus before the advent of simplydiscus. I can't imagine ignoring the better works of the Discus experts of the past and present are able to present in a seamless logical flow. Internet has produced a generation of people who can't spell and expect instant gratification. No lesson is taken in deeper than the ones we learn from a coherent approach and by doing. Then one can ask intelligent questions on a forum and weigh them against a fixed knowledge base and one's experiences to date.
Are we really ready to close down the libraries because a lot of opinions are freely available on the internet? I don't think so. The fact that libraries continue to be built says most people are not ready to give up the researchable knowledge base books provide and the ability to compare the thoughts of the leaders of earlier domestic discus development and synthesize one's own views.
I think or hope you are joking a little when you say, and I paraphrase, that simplydiscus is the fount of all discus knowledge; it is not.
There is much human history and natural history connected to discus which is never discussed in forums but is recorded forever in books.

ShinShin
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Many discus would be saved from the rose garden if the owner took the time to know something about discus before the purchase. The best ways of doing that is to live next door to an accomplished discus keeper or read a couple of books by bonefide experts. Not everybody can live next door to someone, but everybody can buy a book. People who write books, write books because they can. I don't believe the last statement needs explaining nor needs to be elaborated any further.

Mat

terps
07-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Mat

Yup, all 3 books are good. IMO, Penang Discus is the best. You might have trouble finding it though.

CARY_GLdiscus
07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Penang Discus Ya! Good Book 1 of the best!

But still all that info can be found here! WWW.SIMPLYDISCUS.COM

sledge760
07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will check out Wattley's book. I read his column in Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Good stuff.

brewmaster15
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
But still all that info can be found here! WWW.SIMPLYDISCUS.COM (http://www.simplydiscus.com/) Thanks Cary:):):)...great seeing you posting again Bro!:)

Books are great....I collect a good number of them here on all my interests..... but after all the years in this... I learn more from talking with those that have the experience that I need.... I honestly haven't bought a discus book in years.

I like to think that Real time discussion forums like this one will help define the books of tomarrow by bringing together the diverse experiences of discus keepers today... IMO.

Many discus would be saved from the rose garden if the owner took the time to know something about discus before the purchase. The best ways of doing that is to live next door to an accomplished discus keeper or read a couple of books by bonefide experts. Not everybody can live next door to someone, but everybody can buy a book. People who write books, write books because they can. I don't believe the last statement needs explaining nor needs to be elaborated any further.
I wholeheartedly agree with Mat here!@!!!!... but I'll expand it to include the forums as a means to get that info in addition to books........ why.. because its like being in touch with real "next Door Hobbyists" even if miles and miles separate you.... and because so many mistakes to be made have been made here and are shared here... Books will tell you a great deal of how to keep a discus and what to do to successfully keep them from an experts point of view...... Forums like this one do that also...but add the benefit of real life experiences of Hobbyists.. failures as well as successes.......Most books are written by Commercial breeders....forum knowledge is penned largely by Hobbyists and small scale breeders.... this I think really helps in learning about Discus.. and its free knowledge, not knocking the authors of books.....thats a tremendous amount of work to write a book.

Hth,
al

so... buy a few books if you want....but be sure to do some serious reading here... and ask questions...lots of them...which is something you can do on a forum.

Discus-Hans
07-22-2008, 11:40 PM
forum knowledge is penned largely by Hobbyists and small scale breeders....

Now be careful............VERY careful :D:D:D:D

Books won't tell you what a$$ ^%^*&$ NOT to buy from, forums will.

One of the most important things in this hobby, buy better quality Discus, the lesser you've to "know" to keep them alive,

Hans

Apistomaster
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi Al,
You may not have bought any new discus books but isn't it true that you own a copy of Bleher's Discus Vol 1, 2006? A gift, perhaps?

brewmaster15
07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Al,
You may not have bought any new discus books but isn't it true that you own a copy of Bleher's Discus Vol 1, 2006? A gift, perhaps?Sorry Larry, I don't own a copy of it, not as a gift or otherwise...but should someone want to send me one free...I'd accept it.:)

-al

MSD
07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Its probably a moot point because we all probably buy discus books because we are hobbyists and enjoy reading them, and obviously we read the forums too. The original question wasn't about forums versus books though, it was which is the "best" book to cover all subjects as best as possible.

Apistomaster
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
My mistake.
Good book for those who are interested in wild discus or just want good info on the water, environment and food sources available for many other popular species of aquarium fish that share the same habitats as discus.

Lisachromis
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Al,
You may not have bought any new discus books but isn't it true that you own a copy of Bleher's Discus Vol 1, 2006? A gift, perhaps?

I own it! And got lucky enough to get Heiko to sign it on Saturday night. :)

ShinShin
07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Hmmm, I declined the autograph in '06 when I got mine at the ACA.

Mat

LizStreithorst
07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Hmmm, I declined the autograph in '06 when I got mine at the ACA.

Mat

;)

Discus-Hans
07-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Sorry Larry, I don't own a copy of it, not as a gift or otherwise...but should someone want to send me one free...I'd accept it.:)

-al

Now IF you pick up your Discus, you can have mine, I read a few pages but after 50 times the word I, I trowed it under my bed, must still be there some were,

Hans

April
07-29-2008, 01:32 AM
well i saw one today i wouldnt buy. majestic discus. of course it was in chinese..my lfs was showing it to me. it was pics of different breeders fish from different countries. alot of bad shaped discus and not alot of words..of course they were in chinese charachters..so maybe if i read it..id like it. but seemed like a picture book to me.
dick aus is good and jim quarles is good..penang discus i liked.

Fons_van_der_Hart
07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Having about 100 discus books myself I can't tell you what is the bible.
Every two or three years there's another one. Was it Bernd Degen a few years ago, then it was Penang Discus and Asian Discus 2. Last two years Bleher's Discus 1 is a hit.
Wait till I've finished my book and it will become a bible :)

The best books at this moment:
- Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng, very informative and up to date.
- Bleher Discus 1, especially for wildcaughts and background information.
- Diskusfische Schwimmende Juwele by Horst Köhler, in German by the publisher of Discus Brief. One of the best books.

Harriett
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I highly recommend Andrew Soh's newer book also!
HArriett

Wahter
07-30-2008, 12:37 PM
well i saw one today i wouldnt buy. majestic discus. of course it was in chinese..my lfs was showing it to me. it was pics of different breeders fish from different countries. alot of bad shaped discus and not alot of words..of course they were in chinese charachters..so maybe if i read it..id like it. but seemed like a picture book to me.
dick aus is good and jim quarles is good..penang discus i liked.

FYI:

About 1/3 of that version of Majestic Discus book is from the Aqualog version (which is available in English).

HTH,

Walter

seanyuki
07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Harriett,

Andrew's new discus book is out already....not the old one THE Naked Truth.

Cheers
francis:)

I highly recommend Andrew Soh's newer book also!
HArriett

Harriett
07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Francis, I'm out of touch! Can you tell me the title of the newest book? Thanks!
Harriett

seanyuki
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Harriett,

I will contact Andrew and will let you know tomorrow :)

Cheers
Francis:p

Francis, I'm out of touch! Can you tell me the title of the newest book? Thanks!
Harriett

BobB
07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Me too.

Bob

seanyuki
08-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Harriett,

Andrew Soh's new discus book will be out worldwide in November 2008:D

Cheers
Francis:)

Harriett

sledge760
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
So I bought a used copy of Discus Health by Untergasser. Good book but I think you have to be a Scientist to follow through the whole thing.

ashaysathe
08-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Enough has been said and between internet and publications you will know of all the tricks of the trade. But in my opinion its just theory like anything else.
The bible of discus keeping is keeping discus in itself. Each stage is a chanllenge. Its not hard but its not easy as well. Being new to Discus, 180 g to start is a lot of water and a lot of fish. Get the basics on the forum I would start there as a starting point. Next step would be identifying the size of fish you are willing to keep because that is directly tied to amount of money you spend and amount of involvement you are signing up for. Keeping discus juvies and growing them out is a good challenge and fun.
The Mantra of Discus keeping is Clean Water; quality food and quarantine.

sledge760
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Enough has been said and between internet and publications you will know of all the tricks of the trade. But in my opinion its just theory like anything else.
The bible of discus keeping is keeping discus in itself. Each stage is a chanllenge. Its not hard but its not easy as well. Being new to Discus, 180 g to start is a lot of water and a lot of fish. Get the basics on the forum I would start there as a starting point. Next step would be identifying the size of fish you are willing to keep because that is directly tied to amount of money you spend and amount of involvement you are signing up for. Keeping discus juvies and growing them out is a good challenge and fun.
The Mantra of Discus keeping is Clean Water; quality food and quarantine.
I have been going through many of the threads on this site for a month now and I believe I am up to the Discus challenge. I know 180 gallons is alot of water. I plan on starting with 6 3"-3 1/2" that a lfs Stendkar distributor has. Starting with 6 is all I can afford for now. Can you tell me if 2x 40% changes a week is enough, and I know the more the better? Is there a thread with specific feeding routines? I cannot seem to find one.
Thanks,
Larry

CARY_GLdiscus
08-04-2008, 12:37 PM
WoW!

Well Said ashaysathe!!!!

ShinShin
08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Sorry to disagree, but discus bible does not equate to challenge, nor does the applied scientific facts used equate to theory, but experience does equate to truth.

Mat

CARY_GLdiscus
08-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Off with his Head! LOL!

Hi Larry
Gld!

ShinShin
08-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Off with his head? You're so violent, Cary. May I suggest some study of Eastern philosophy and meditation for you, my friend? Other than that, how you doing? Maybe I'll make it to Cincy next year on Hans's advice.

Mat

CARY_GLdiscus
08-04-2008, 06:38 PM
ONLY SEND THE STRONG STUFF JK

Matt it would be great to meet up again I had fun in Tex!
Cary Gld!

GrillMaster
08-04-2008, 06:58 PM

Cary Gld!

Thanks Cary!! :)

ashaysathe
08-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I have been going through many of the threads on this site for a month now and I believe I am up to the Discus challenge. I know 180 gallons is alot of water. I plan on starting with 6 3"-3 1/2" that a lfs Stendkar distributor has. Starting with 6 is all I can afford for now. Can you tell me if 2x 40% changes a week is enough, and I know the more the better? Is there a thread with specific feeding routines? I cannot seem to find one.
Thanks,
Larry

In purely my opinion, 6 X (3"-3 1/2" ) in 180 g tank will be way to less. If you want to start with 6, nothing wrong with that, for that size fish start in a 29 g or a 55g (even better). As you go along then move to bigger 180g tank.
About frequency of water changes - there a lot of school of thougths. Discus need clean water and more the better. If you are willing to do 40% water change in a 180 g twice a week; doing 50% daily water change in a 55g will be very easy.

Harriett
08-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Sorry to disagree, but discus bible does not equate to challenge, nor does the applied scientific facts used equate to theory, but experience does equate to truth.

Mat

Uh, waxing petty esoterically, huh? LOL
Best regards
Harriett

sledge760
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I actually have decided to sell my 180. Someone I know is letting me have his 120 gallon for next to nothing. I know still a large tank, but easier to maintain than a 180.