PDA

View Full Version : Using Seachem Discus Buffer To Lower Ph.

patrick richard
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone uses Seachem Discus Buffer to lower their Ph.
I was using it for awhile and my Ph was around 6.5, but I was having a problem with infertile eggs. I was told to try to stop using it and use staight aged tap water for water changes. I slowly adgusted the Ph with the tap water in all of my tanks. I did the change from buffered water to tap over a one month period, so not to shock the fish. The Ph in the tanks now settles out at about 8.2. which I think is high. My breeding tanks use RO water and they have a Ph at about 7.2. The fish are all doing well and growing. I wanted to know if the buffer solution affects the eggs or not? I also was wondering if the aged tap water has the Ph. to high in the tanks? I do water changes of 40%-50% a day on younger fish, and the adults get the same every other day. If anyone can help me I would be greatful.

Thank you, Patrick

CARY_GLdiscus
07-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Pat,

Just use the tap Water for growouts! The only problem with Your High Ph is that it will make the toxins in your tank More Toxic! Just keep Your eyes on Your water Parmeters And Keep up on W/c's. IMO thats the only problem with High PH and the best way to go about
it is picking up W/C's

patrick richard
07-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Cary,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to go back to using the buffer to lower down the Ph. I will do this in slow amounts. I was just wondering if you have heard of the buffer causing problems with eggs. I have had about 20 spawns with different pairs, and only had 5 or 6 wigglers. When I was using the buffer the water was soft and the Ph was low, so I thought that it could possibly be the buffer hardening the eggs. I will also continue to use the tap and RO mix for the breeding tanks. If you have any thoughts on the buffers, please let me know.

Thanks,
Patrick