PDA

View Full Version : How do you safely moved adult Discus?

amyandlars
07-19-2008, 09:10 AM
It looks like I'm going to be able to buy some of Eyecandy's discus from her, she's a good 3 hour drive away. I'm worried about temp and oxygen. I guess I got spoiled by the pet stores that add oxygen to the bag.

I was thinking large Ziploc's double bagged, with the bags boxed together so that nothing gets knocked over, and keeping the AC to a minimum on the way home. How do I keep the oxygen up though?

LizStreithorst
07-19-2008, 09:20 AM
They will be OK without O2 for just a 3 hour trip. You need 10" bags. Maybe you can get some from your fish store. I don't trust zip locks. I would add 1/3 water to 2/3 air. With adults, triple or quadruple bag them. Add enough newspaper of plastic peanuts so that the bags don't knock around in the box. Get a small styrofoam cooler if she doesn't have any fish boxes.

dpt8
07-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Why not just put them in a 5 gl. bucket, half filled with their tank water for that short trip.. Its warm now so temp is not a problem.. You can partially cover the top with plastic wrap so the water won't splash, or put holes in the bucket cover and place the cover on the bucket.. Will work fine.. I've used this method before Better than large baggies.. David T

LizStreithorst
07-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Now that's a good idea. I transported a very large pair on a 6 hour trip that way. I had forgotten...

KimR
07-19-2008, 12:09 PM
That is what I did, I used a large bucket filled with their tank water & it was for an hours drive. All were good :). Good luck! & congrats!

Eyecandy
07-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Amyandlars... you have a pm... Sue

bs6749
07-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I agree with dpt8. I've used the 5 gallon buckets before and it works well. I suggest 50:50 water to air ratio for that short of a trip.

On a side note, last week Monday I had 15 quarter size angels sent to me. Long story short...after being sent to my old address, then forwarded to my new one, they arrived to me on Saturday, 5 whole days without food or adding any oxygen into the bag. All 15 were shipped in the same bag (NOT breather bags) and all 15 survived!!!

White Worm
07-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Buckets, ice chest or those cheap styrofoam coolers.

Darrell Ward
07-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Be careful using buckets to move fish. I've used buckets myself. I've also seen some pretty banged up fish from being knocked around in a bucket. The reason fish are shipped in bags is because the sides are soft, and do no damage to the fish from being sloshed and banged around.

White Worm
07-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I lined the buckets with towels first and then plastic garbage (non treated and non scented) bags so you could tie them loosely at the top and not get any splashes in the truck.

Tropical Haven
07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't forget that you can use a battery operated air pump to give that 5 gallon bucket O2 while driving home with them. I have done that many times and has worked out great.

pcsb23
07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
If you use a bucket or similar it is better to line the bucket with a large polythene bag. I have seen discus swim round the side of the bucket grazing their eys. The softer smooth polythene will prevent damage.

Discus-Hans
07-27-2008, 11:11 AM
If you use a bucket (were I sold all my Discus in back in Holland, they called me the Bucket man) check the bottom inside. Some bucket have a nasty point standing up in the middle, it can rip your Discus open,

Hans

MSD
07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Were you known as "Bucket-Hans" back then? :D Good point about the bucket bottom, literally. BTW, your fish are eating me out of house and home! Don't these beasties ever get enough???