PDA

View Full Version : HCL

luminary88
07-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Does anyone know how safe it is to use for lowering PH? Also, can it be the same form as humans take for digestive support which is Betaine Hydrochloride (HCL)? AND, what dose would one use? Liquid? Tab?

*Polka dots roc*
07-19-2008, 10:07 PM
It is never a good idea to try to lower ph, a stable ph is better even if it is on the high side.
What is your ph and why do you want to lower it?
And i have no idea about the last part sorry

luminary88
07-19-2008, 10:13 PM
my ph is 7.8. I just added plants and from what I understand the plants should be in water with a ph between 6.5 and 7.2. They are Amazon swords.

Ed13
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
don't do it, don't need it! For so many reasons. At least not for simple Amazons

*Polka dots roc*
07-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Hmm i wouldn't do it discus don't like the changes in ph when you start messing with it. I would rather have thriving discus and dying plants then the other way around but thats JMO.

ShinShin
07-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Use muratic acid. It is diluted HCl and can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you have a storage container and a pH meter, you will have no problems whatsoever. You must have both, however. Your discus and plants will love a 6.5 pH level. Don't let anyone else tell you differently.

Mat

Ed13
07-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Use muratic acid. It is diluted HCl and can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you have a storage container and a pH meter, you will have no problems whatsoever. You must have both, however. Your discus and plants will love a 6.5 pH level. Don't let anyone else tell you differently.

Mat
Yes, muriatic is 31%-33% HCL, but I still would not do it. I've killed too many discus by adjusting pH with it, keep it stable before adjusting.
Good luck:)

Rod
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Mat

right on, i couldn't agree more.

kaceyo
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I've used muriatic acid off and on for a few years and never had a problem with fish health because of it. Just the opposite in fact. They are more vibrent and active at pH of 6.5 or a bit lower.
Like with all things discus, you need to be consistant with it.

Kacey