PDA

View Full Version : Magazine?

*Polka dots roc*
07-21-2008, 09:51 AM
There is already a thread like this woops:)

GrillMaster
07-21-2008, 06:31 PM
The idea was kicked around before. It takes alot of dedication from alot of members in various aspects. From photo taking, articles, editing, publishing, paying to print etc...

Basically its a tremendous amount of work! What do forum members actually get out of it? Nothing more than what is here on the forum...

Then we throw magazines in the lfs's. I personally dont think enough magazines would be sold to warrant the time, effort, and money it would take to make them.

If we could get a few aquarium mags to just list a link to "SD", we wouldn't need a magazine!! ;) :D :D

Tropical Haven
07-22-2008, 09:05 AM
The one good thing about magazines now is that you don't have to pay for printing because they can all be done on the computer and put into a PDF form type of magazine. We have been tossing this idea around in my fishing forum and I think that I will be making the jump and start making a quarterly electronic magazine. What I will be doing is taking tips, technics, how to's & articles that different members want to do and have them e-mail them to me and I will put it all together. If everyone on here is serious about wanting a quarterly magazine just let me know I can do one for here as well. With all the knowledge and experience of people on here it shouldn't be a problem with getting something quarterly on here.

*Polka dots roc*
07-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I think it would be a cool idea:)

ShinShin
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
A magazine would be geat. I have all the old German Discus Brief mags (translated, of course) and the info in them is tremendous. Dollars and cents won't allow it to happen here in the States, however. Americans will pay 4-5 bucks for a mocha or frappeccino, but would not spend that for a discus magazine.

Mat

MSD
07-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I just think the target audience is too small for such a publication. It would take more of a "fanzine" then a professional publication, and that kind of dedication of time and money makes it an unattractive venture.

johnett
07-23-2008, 05:07 PM
what about just a newsletter like some tips etc to those who want them you could just e-mail it to them. Maybe start a thread for people who would like to get the newsletter. just a idea :)

ShinShin
07-23-2008, 11:56 PM
To me, a newsletter would be of no use when we have the internet forums to transmit such info. A magazine such as Discus Brief supplied information and articles not found elsewhere.

Mat

Discus-Hans
07-24-2008, 12:31 AM
To me, a newsletter would be of no use when we have the internet forums to transmit such info. A magazine such as Discus Brief supplied information and articles not found elsewhere.

Mat

Mat,

it was and still is UNBELIEVABLE that Discus Brief is doing very well in many languages only English/American never did work out.

Hans

yim11
07-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Mat,

it was and still is UNBELIEVABLE that Discus Brief is doing very well in many languages only English/American never did work out.

Hans

I would be curious to know what type of commitment Discus Brief would require to consider another English publication, if that's even possible. The internet is a great place for almost unlimited info but also just as good at organizing groups quickly.

I think the lack of English publication reflects the overall lack of discus enthusiast in North America. A significant portion of the best fish are coming out of Asia and Europe, so it makes sense the hobby would be more popular in those areas.

Simply is doing a HUGE part in helping to resolve that issue! I look forward to a time when the US has full time breeders making real money and producing new and exciting strains!

Sorry to hijack...
-jim

GrillMaster
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM
A magazine would be no more than a money pit to what is available here on the forum!

What could possibly be made availabe to the public that is not available here, and why do ya think a magazine would add to the info provided here?...

What needs to be available is this web site address! :D

That is the best info there is....Period!!!

ShinShin
07-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Mark,

If a discus magazine was published here in the USA, it would most likely be lightweight by trying to make it appeal to the masses instead of the serious discus keeper. Discus Brief is no beginners magazine. You don't find such in depth subject matter on discus forums. Most of the articles are written by world reknowned discus experts who don't bother with internet forums.

Hans,

I was disappointed when enough interest was not shown to have Discus Brief continued in English.

Mat

GrillMaster
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Mark,

If a discus magazine was published here in the USA, it would most likely be lightweight by trying to make it appeal to the masses instead of the serious discus keeper. Discus Brief is no beginners magazine. You don't find such in depth subject matter on discus forums. Most of the articles are written by world reknowned discus experts who don't bother with internet forums.

Hans,

I was disappointed when enough interest was not shown to have Discus Brief continued in English.

Mat

Hey Larry... Discus Brief sounds like a very informative mag, but how could the members here benefit from that magazine? Discus Brief is not a beginners mag. How does that relate to the members here?

The thread was to have a forum magazine...Why have a forum mag when you have a forum? There is nothing that could be put in a magazine that is not addressed here.

Who will you be adressing with a magazine? Unless you are in the hobby or wanting to try it out, the mag idea is pointless.

I know there are members here that are gung ho about this endeavor...Bottom line...The forum has all the info anyone needs, and it doesn't cost a thing! :)

ShinShin
07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Mark,

I didn't catch where it was a forum magazine. I don't see the point then, either. But, I'd still love to see a great discus magazine like Discus Brief available.

Mat

GrillMaster
07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I was just making a point with the forum magazine. There is just so much info here on the forum, what info could possibly be put in a magazine that is not covered here? :confused:

Who would benefit from a mag? Members? I think not...They have all answers here.

Cmon....You really wanna put alot of work into a magazine which the info is contained right here in the forum??

Like I said before...Feel free to go all out on a mag! What will the members here gain from it? Prolly not a whole lot! Thats why we have this forum! There is absolutely nothing.... I mean nothing...That a member cant get from this forum! I would go out on a ladder here an say that there would be nothing that a member couldn't get from this forum that any magazine could contribute...

Ed13
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I was just making a point with the forum magazine. There is just so much info here on the forum, what info could possibly be put in a magazine that is not covered here? :confused:

Who would benefit from a mag? Members? I think not...They have all answers here.

Cmon....You really wanna put alot of work into a magazine which the info is contained right here in the forum??

Like I said before...Feel free to go all out on a mag! What will the members here gain from it? Prolly not a whole lot! Thats why we have this forum! There is absolutely nothing.... I mean nothing...That a member cant get from this forum! I would go out on a ladder here an say that there would be nothing that a member couldn't get from this forum that any magazine could contribute...
Well I agree in some ways, there not much a member can gain extra in the technicall aspects that it won't get participating in the forum. But there is still some( how much and is it worth it is subjective) it can in the sense of community. A monthly net mag, with for example a photo contest, feautured tank, featured breed(not necessarily discus only)an interview with an expert, articles etc, could be interesting and usefull. But its a lot of time and effort to put up in time for deadlines etc, and who really knows how long will it have interested and truth be told that can all be done and is done within the forum. So......

DiscusDude85
07-26-2008, 07:45 AM
The members here might not gain a thing from a magazine, But i have to say that it would benefit the discus fish!. I talk about my fish alot as im sure all of you do also, People will ask me what kind of fish i raise, i tell them discus they always say huh? whats that. Well maybe if there was some more litterature like a magazine dedicated to discus they would be more well known. Ive even gone to pet stores and asked about discus and they dont even know, Thats when i turn around and leave those stores. Thats just my view on it.

Joe

MSD
07-27-2008, 01:40 PM
We'd all love to see a discus magazine with good articles and photos, maybe a big discus market like in Asia could spawn and support it, then we could get a US version here?

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Well I do know that NADA is going to start back its quarterly newsletter, which will have interviews of famous breeders/people in the industry along with nice articles and reviews. I think the general timeline for the next one is sometime early September. Of course the more members they get, the more people could help out and maybe even write more articles or provide more pictures. Not sure if its "official" or not, but now that dues are only $10, there should be a lot more people joining and helping out. I would love to see an actual magazine just for discus, but from what I see the NADA newsletter is about the best we will have for now.

-Ryan

ShinShin
07-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Mark,

Believe it or not, there are people on this forum who get very little from this or any other internet forum. A magazine of the caliber of Discus Brief offers great pics and articles not available online. Most of the "professional" discus people here, contribute very little, being afraid of alienating a potential customer. If you look at a lot of the importer's posts, they are "way to go" or "nice discus" type responses. It's all about creating a client base and keeping it, or trying to sell a book. Cary used to be a good source for disease treatment because of his knowledge and connections with various universities, but with his new business doesn't post much anymore. Hans also will contribute needed information. Those breeding their discus for sale like Jack are too busy as well.

I've seen responses to posts on breeding where the poster responding to a queston starts off stating he hasn't had a successful spawn yet, but continues to tell the "asker" how to prepare their tank or that soft water is not needed, or some other response that they read, not knowing if it is correct or not because they never did it. They simply "parrot" the information.

If even new people read an article on disease or breeding or water quality, or how a new variety was created by the creator themslves, a lot of the misinformation posted could be elimenated.

I personally appreciated Discus Brief. Too bad not enough other English speaking discus people won't spend the money.

Mat

Don Trinko
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Cary is still a good source. he has helped me with several diseases on fish that I didn't buy from him. He has always called me back when I call him and he isn't there when I call.
I do agree that many of the breeder dealers do not express their opinion often but I think it is because it is contrary to some of the opinions of the "discus guru's" and they do not wish to start an argument. Don T.