PDA

View Full Version : Do Red Dragon Discus has bars?

Autumn Wind
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a Tony Tan Red Dragon but since he is happy all the time I don't know if he is supposed to have bars or not. I'm getting confused on who is supposed to have bars and who doesn't. :confused:

Also does anyone know about Golden Emperor's are they an albino strain?

thanks,
vanessa

Ed13
07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Tony Tan's Red Dragons are PB, if I'm not mistaken, so they should not have bars.

Apistomaster
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
It is helpful to know who's fish you are discussing because when it comes to trade names they are even more meaningless than common names given to aquarium fish.
These photos show what one vendor sent me as Red Dragons. On his website, he shows a photo of a pigeon blood variety but here are three fish out of the eight I bought as Red Dragons and these do have bars sometimes and look nothing like what was presented.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/FireDragon-1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/FireDragon0001.jpg

kaceyo
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey Larry,
Definitly not what I think of as a Red Dragon, more like a Pearl Turq. But I love the pattern on them.

Kacey

brewmaster15
07-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi Vanessa,
I have a few young Tony Tan Red Dragons here, size,3" they do not have bars.....some pigeon strains will have faint bars at a very young age (first couple of months), but these almost always fade as they age,IMO.

I have a few of the Golden emperors.. they are not albino strain.. very nice fish though.

HTH,
al

Autumn Wind
07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the insight. Unfortunatly I'm at work now and I can't view the photo's posted till I get home :mad:
All my discus are Tony Tan that I purchased from Kenny here. I was a good newbie and did all my research here on Simply :D
I have never seen bars on my red dragon so I'm guessing he doesn't have them. I was wondering mostly because I had a Super Checkerboard Pigeon and it definatly had bars and the two are so close in color and pattern. Unfortunatly I lost the Checkerboard so I can't compare them any more.

My Golden Emperor is fast becoming one of the nicest of my group. If they are not an albino strain are they a pigeon? I think once I saw a hint of pepper on him but not sure. If they can have peppering he is VERY clean, he is a good 4.5" so would think any pepper would show by now?
I can tell you a lot about equine genetics but I am clueless with fish but I am trying to learn.
I will post a photo of both tonight.

BTW: Al, thanks for all of your great advise throughout the board. I like your less is more approach. A couple of weeks ago I suspected my fish were constipated, I followed your advise to someone else on the board and did a epsom salt bath and fed only BW for 48 hours. Worked like a charm ;)

Harriett
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Geez, Larry, whatever these are called, they're gorgeous.
Harriett

Apistomaster
07-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Harriet,
They were called "Fire Dragons buy the seller, They are a nice red base body color and some flashy turquoise or blue striations with an interesting arrangement of free style splashes and some almost geometric spots. Maybe worth raising except they have never been successful at raising any broods.

They are living in a 180 gallon show tank at a friend's fish shop. Nice place to live.

Darren's Discus
07-25-2008, 01:12 AM
This is a picture of 1 of my Tony Tan Red Dragons when i first received it about 18 month's ago,They have grown into beautiful fish with no bars,As Al mentioned when young they show the bars as they grow they dissapear.

cheers

Apistomaster
07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Geez, Larry, whatever these are called, they're gorgeous.
Harriett
I agree they were pretty discus but unfortunately, they made poor breeders.

Autumn Wind
07-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Wow Larry yours are very beautiful but nothing close in color to mine. I did a search and found picture of other fish that looked just like yours and they were called red dragons too.
Identical to Darrens picture when a little younger.
Here is pic of mine taken today. He is the hardest to photogragh. And one of my Emperor too. Red Dragon is about 3 1/2" and Emperor is about 4 1/2".

No bars on either. thanks for the help!
vanessa