PDA

View Full Version : is it still cycled

*Polka dots roc*
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Today i took back all of my fish in the 25g and washed it with bleach my question is if the tank was already cycled will the bleach affect it and how long do i have to wait before i can put discus in it? I was hping it would still be cycled and i could order my fish what do you think?

Nicole

steve.ryall
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
It's not the tank that cycles, it's your filter media.

AADiscus
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Did u bleach your sponge too? If you just bleached your tank make sure you clean it with water really good and put your sponge back in, you are ready to go if your sponge is fully cycled.

*Polka dots roc*
07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
ok you mean the sponge in the filter? sorry this probably seems like a stupid question but i want to be sure. April said she could give me a sponge is that the same thing?
thanks guys
Nicole

Graham
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
If you bleached everything that was envolved with the tank then you have nothing....tank, media, nets, whatever

GrillMaster
07-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Why are you puttin Discus in a 25g tank? :confused:

*Polka dots roc*
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
i am growing the discus out in a 25 gallon and then putting them into a 46 planted tank. So how long do i have to keep the tank going before i can put the discus in it?

*Polka dots roc*
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I only bleached the tank nothing else. But i plan on it. I'm alittle confused about the "then you have nothing" part though

If you bleached everything that was envolved with the tank then you have nothing....tank, media, nets, whatever

Graham
07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Nicole without looking back at your other posts.... if you had a problem in the tank that you felt needed bleaching which kills everything then why wouldn't you bleach the filter and everything else in it.

Bacteria, viruses and parasites don't just live in the tank itself they live in the entire system. To get rid of them then the entire system needs to be sterilized. This would obviously wipe out all the bacteria, good, bad or otherwise.....then you have nothing and have to start over

G

*Polka dots roc*
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I should have been a little more specific ok so here i go.. I bleached my 46 gallon tank as it used to be salt and had a few outbreaks of ich. I got a new filter and washed all my nets in bleach as well, But i plan on cycling this tank. The 25 i was told to use rubbing alcohol so i did and now its evaporating outside before i bring it in to rinse it out... did i need to do this if the tank never had any outbreaks? and if i set this tank up with an old filter, already used and never had any outbreaks with it also do i need to sterilize it? And if so how long do you think i have to run the 25 before i can put discus in it?

Graham
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=*Polka dots roc*;464135]I should have been a little more specific ok so here i go.. I bleached my 46 gallon tank as it used to be salt and had a few outbreaks of ich. I got a new filter and washed all my nets in bleach as well, But i plan on cycling this tank.

Everything in this tank is sterile

The 25 i was told to use rubbing alcohol so i did and now its evaporating outside before i bring it in to rinse it out... did i need to do this if the tank never had any outbreaks?

This tank is now sterile and it didn't hurt to do it

and if i set this tank up with an old filter, already used and never had any outbreaks with it also do i need to sterilize it?

Is filter just old or does it have establisheb bio-media in it

And if so how long do you think i have to run the 25 before i can put discus in it?

Once the filter has been cleaned it can be used right away but the tank will need to completely cycle again

*Polka dots roc*
07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
the filter was new about 3 months ago and was cycled and had bio media in it

So i can put discus in it right away or no?

Graham
07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
If the filter was established and has remained, so then you can add the fish. keep in mind that if the filter has been sitting around without a food supply or just a few guppies feeding it then there will not be enough bacteria for a heavy fish load

G