PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck

corrosionjerry
07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Ok I purchased an electronic PH meter device and I checked the two tanks that I am keeping Discus in...In the tank that My group of 6 2.5-3" Juviniles are in ( 50Gallon grow out tank ) the PH is sitting at 6.4

The quarenteen tank that I have two full size Discus in (33 tall ) the PH is 5.5
How is this possible / I use the same aged water for water changes etc...

The only difference in the tanks is the grow out with 6 juviniles is a bare bottom tank

The 33G with 2 Discus has a small amount of sand on the bottom and two plants a crypt and apongen...

what the heck gives........

Frankr409
07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Ok I purchased an electronic PH meter device and I checked the two tanks that I am keeping Discus in...In the tank that My group of 6 2.5-3" Juviniles are in ( 50Gallon grow out tank ) the PH is sitting at 6.4

The quarenteen tank that I have two full size Discus in (33 tall ) the PH is 5.5
How is this possible / I use the same aged water for water changes etc...

The only difference in the tanks is the grow out with 6 juviniles is a bare bottom tank

The 33G with 2 Discus has a small amount of sand on the bottom and two plants a crypt and apongen...

what the heck gives........

Interesting. I would re-calibrate the probe before putting it into the 33g tank, and see if the PH is still different.

Graham
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
As Frank stated re-calibrate and test and then believe the reading that you're getting.

Tall tanks have less surface area, therefore less gas exchange, therefore higher CO2, therefore lower pH...toss an airstone in

G

corrosionjerry
07-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Interesting. I would re-calibrate the probe before putting it into the 33g tank, and see if the PH is still different.

Just was recalibrated in a known solution....

corrosionjerry
07-24-2008, 11:54 PM
As Frank stated re-calibrate and test and then believe the reading that you're getting.

Tall tanks have less surface area, therefore less gas exchange, therefore higher CO2, therefore lower pH...toss an airstone in

G

I will try the airstone... thanks for the advice

Don Trinko
07-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I have had my storaage tanks test 6.8 ph but after I stir the water it is 7.4 ph . Don T.

Harriett
07-29-2008, 04:37 PM
A tip: If one of these tanks is still a QT tank, remember that the probe for the pH tester will be moving possible pathogens to your other tank if they exist. CLEAN the tester after using it in the QT tank.

corrosionjerry
07-30-2008, 12:19 AM
good point... thanks