PDA

View Full Version : How to move discus for 15hrs

DRAGONFISH70
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I am planning on buying a discus in san francisco to bring home to san diego which is like a 15hr drive. How do i keep them alive from this trip?

rogge26
07-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Why don't you just have the discus shipped? If you are going to drive 15 hours, you will spend more in gas than you will having the discus shipped to you.

Rick Hunter
07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Triple bag them with pure O2, foam cooler box and heating packs to keep the temperture from dropping too much. I think there is something that you can add to the water to keep the ammonia down as well.

DiscusChris
07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
The ammonia won't be a problem as long as the bag stays sealed. The Ph will be low enough to convert the ammonia to ammonium, which isnt toxic.

Discus-Hans
07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Cali?, summer?, heat packs?? :confused:

I'm sure your seller in SF knows how to pack your fish?? (I hope)

Hans

Harriett
07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
just have your guy pack them for shipping in the usual fashion, and unpack the fish when you get home. They will be good for at least 24 hours that way.
Harriett

Apistomaster
07-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Cali?, summer?, heat packs?? :confused:

I'm sure your seller in SF knows how to pack your fish?? (I hope)

Hans

Couldn't agree more.
I may have read too much between the lines but I had the impression you were driving anyway so why not bring some nice discus back from San Francisco? Keeping the fish warm is the last thing I would be worried about. It is about 100*F or more in any direction one can drive in 15 hours from San Francisco.

amyandlars
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM
If the breeder or distributor is exeperienced in shipping, I don't think the 15 hour drive is the problem. From my experience, being a beginner fishkeeper, is the ph changes that occur during transport, and the ph spike of the bag being opened.

Discus-Hans
07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
If the breeder or distributor is exeperienced in shipping, I don't think the 15 hour drive is the problem. From my experience, being a beginner fishkeeper, is the ph changes that occur during transport, and the ph spike of the bag being opened.

This all is totally no point.

Look, if we ship fish, we try to get in a responsabel way as many fish in a bag with as less as posibel water (shipping weight = cost) If somebody picks up Discus at my shop, I put 1 Discus in an ocean of water, shipping weight is no problem when a customer picks them up.

I guarantee you, this way you can leave them 3 days in the bags.

Hans

OIF03VET
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Where did you go dragon fish? Your post count for your first month was almost as much as mine was for the past 2 years, now your gone? How are your fish doing?