PDA

View Full Version : New, Unexpected, Enthralled!

DiscussDiscus
07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello All,
its been a whirlwind week. We had bid the low reserve at a recent fish auction in Boston and to our shock/delight/surprise we won a 5 inch blue scribble.

The amount of work we put in over the need week, although challenging, has been well worth it. This certainly is a very rewarding hobby

Achilles (the scribble) seems to be doing well, he eats regularly, enjoys the driftwood-root system we created for him and for the most part plays nicely with the other fish in the aquarium (although 1 of our neon tetras has taken an extended vacation.)

We have a small community in the tank currently that doesnt seem to be bothering Achilles much, and the fish don't appear to be the worse for wear for us targetting Achille's water preferences (82-84F, 6.6-6.8pH) but we feel it is important that we halt adding other community fish and introduce a few more discus to keep Achilles company.

The problem we are having is we believe (visually) that our tank would look great with 2-3 more 3-5inch sized discus to keep Achilles comfortable (we have a 110gal 48x18x32inch)

I've been churning through the forums at a pretty rapid rate since my account got activated, but I'd love if there is anyone in the Boston Area who wouldn't mind dealing with my newest (and arguably "bestest") obsession.

Lee

DiscussDiscus
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I took a few photos of the tank last night, I'll get them uploaded this afternoon/evening to give you guys a peek.

dpt8
07-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Are you looking to buy a few more discus then?? Do you have a tank to quaranteen the new fish for 6 weeks or so??

DiscussDiscus
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Dpt8,

I am in the market for some new discus, hopefully in the 2-3" range. At present I have two tanks that I can use as quarantines, a 30 gallon and a 80 gallon. for breathing room for the fish I am most likely going to be doing the 80 (and thanks to some of the FAQs I've read from the forums, probably BB)

dpt8
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
I have 8 tanks of discus of all sizes and varieties. You are welcome anytime to come chat discus and see my fish. I live in Dartmouth, Ma.

DiscussDiscus
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Dpt,

Where in Dartmouth? My roomate (and co-conspirator) is from Dartmouth and I'm certain we can make a trip down sometime soon to talk shop! Feel free to PM me with details.

Regards,
Lee

GrillMaster
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Alright!!! Another NEDA member!! ;) :D :D

Welcome to the forum Lee!! :)

DiscussDiscus
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks Mark!

Just looking around here its amazing the resources and wealth of knowledge. Our third roomate just purchased an established 75 reef on CList, so we're excited to see him join in on the fun -- even if hes on the other side of the fence ;)

Dibs on the RO! (Yoink)

Lee

DiscussDiscus
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I've attached an image of the tank. Very happy with it so far! Achilles was a bit gunshy of the camera and you can just barely see him peeking out behind the far left wood outcropping, but he loves zooming around between the cryp in the back of the "claw" wood piece as well as weaving in between the wood system.

Lee