PDA

View Full Version : Blue Discus darkening up in Tank?

stallion150
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey all--I've got a 260 watt PC lighting setup in my moderately planted tank. I've always noticed that red/orange/yellow discus always show up great..but any blue type discus look black from afar and only closeup can I see the blue.

I've got black gravel and I thought maybe the blue fish were darkening up to blend in? I'd appreciate some thoughts as to why you think blue discus always show up dark in my tank...thanks.

Wahter
08-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey all--I've got a 260 watt PC lighting setup in my moderately planted tank. I've always noticed that red/orange/yellow discus always show up great..but any blue type discus look black from afar and only closeup can I see the blue.

I've got black gravel and I thought maybe the blue fish were darkening up to blend in? I'd appreciate some thoughts as to why you think blue discus always show up dark in my tank...thanks.

The black gravel will do it. Also try a light background too. That should help.

Walter

Harriett
08-05-2008, 03:58 PM

I had the same experience years ago--I couldn't understand why my blues always looked dark [= sick?] even though they were big and had fine appetites, etc...I was always worrying over them--the BDs didn't look anywhere near as nice as the photos I would see....and then I repainted my black background and changed up the brown gravel to buff colored pool filter sand one weekend....the change in their color was rediculous it was so significant! Get rid of the dark substrate and if you have a dark back, change that too. You will be thrilled with the results, I promise!
Harriett

CARY_GLdiscus
08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Yep! Yep! Yep! Good Info!

stallion150
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Awesome--thanks everyone! my weekend project is to replace the black gravel with white pool filter sand....do you think no tank background is better than one of those light blue ones to bring the color out of these fish?

Harriett
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Yep! Yep! Yep! Good Info!

I owe everything I know to you and you know THAT'S true!
xox
H

CARY_GLdiscus
08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
xoxoxo miss YOU!

Harriett
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
xoxoxo miss YOU!

Miss you too, darlin---we need to meet up, huh? Maybe we'll come up to see you---or, are you and Sue coming to Chgo this summer at all? Hey, guess what! I got 9 wild young adult Leopoldi/Dumerilii Angelfish a couple weeks ago from Tony at Sunrise in CA--good score, huh?

xoxox
Harriett

Harriett
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Awesome--thanks everyone! my weekend project is to replace the black gravel with white pool filter sand....do you think no tank background is better than one of those light blue ones to bring the color out of these fish?

Depends on the wall color right behind the tank--if it is a light neutral color you would probably do fine but I personally like the esthetics of painting the tank back anice light blue background--particularly in a planted tank!
Best regards
Harriett

deanne
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Is there any particular paint that is used to paint the backs of tanks?

I have a light green wall hanging (actually a tablecloth, but who's looking) that hangs down behind the tank, and it's not too bad, although I wish it was lighter. But one bonus of that is the tank looks deeper because you see the background several inches back from the actual glass. It doesn't hide any hoses, though.

d

stallion150
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
i just changed the tank over to white pool filter sand--the blue discus has lightened up considerably...he looks like a new fish, much more vibrant colors.

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

CARY_GLdiscus
08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
I like tony,
We talk now and then.

Ya maybe soon! so busy! family is growing like weeds

Takecare

Cary + family

April
08-12-2008, 02:51 AM
heh cary..i wanna see pics of those growing boys.
not to change the subject...
change the background and let us know if they lightened up. i like my bds lighter blue. powder blue . mine look darker since i got a darker background on my tank..someone traded me. too dark blue for my taste. but painted...looks like oil paint. id like it to be the colour of simplydiscus background on the top header.