PDA

View Full Version : Very sick discus... round or tape worms? HELP!!!

jassyben
08-04-2008, 03:09 AM
We have a very sick discus that won't eat- he's had a pretty rough start here over the past 3 weeks with bad water. We have the water under control now and all the tests are good. The discus in question is currently in jail and 3 days ago we started with the epsom salts. We used 1 tblsp for our 5 gallon qt tank. We have also dosed him with jungle parasite clear after finding a chunk of worm- unfortunately no microscope and due to remote island, nowhere to purchase one. He has passed a couple of inches worth since over the past couple of days but is still bloated. He won't eat and breathes quite heavily. His colour has improved somewhat but at times he swims around bumping into the glass as tho he can't see or is drunk. He is fairly young and about 21/2 inches from nose to just before tail fin starts. I don't believe he is stunted at all. We are doing 50% water changes daily. We have spent hundreds of dollars on water in the past few weeks and looking into an ro water system. Our water at home has a very high ph. The other discus seem ok but are not 100% great and I believe it's just all the stress from all that's gone on. We haven't fed them the frozen blood worms for a few days for fear that's where the worms have come from. We are very new to discus. Our tank is planted despite many people feeling bb is best. I could write a book about all they've been through but for now I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips. How long does it take to pass the worm(s) and how long can he not eat for? Now that they've all been treated should we move him back to the big tank to help his stress level out? We are getting so frustrated and trying not to get discouraged. I have so fallen in love with them from day 1 and love how they greet me at the tank.

Don Trinko
08-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Tape worms are segmented, Prazi is for tape worms. Levamisol is for round worms. Levamisol is sometimes hard to find and can be hard on the fish. I found it at a local Tractor Supply. Don T.