PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Planaria Crawling on Discus!

WendiDeCato
08-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi guys and thank you for reading my post and I am sorry that is is going to be such a long one. I just want to cover all of the questions that I know you will ask before you have to ask them.

First off, I have already read every thread here concerning planaria, stylaria, nematodes, etc. I realize that they are a symptom of a dirty tank and are not supposed to really be harmful to the discus, etc.

The problem is that the worms that are floating in the water (I have 3 filters and a lot of water circulation) are somehow attaching themselves to my Discus as they swim by. My discus are now twitching a lot and once in a while, when I look close, I can see the little worms crawling along their skin. Then, the discus twitches and the worm dislodges and floats away. No wonder my fish are uncomfortable!

Can these worms crawl inside their gills and cause even more problems? I also notice that my fish are eating the worms, is that okay?

Background information:

-180 gallon tank - About 1 month old, I think. Cycled with sponges from my 125g discus tank.
-13 Discus also transferred from my 125 gallon tank (only 1 discus is full grown. The others range from about 2.5-4")
-3 Emporer 400 Filters with 6 biowheels and 12 sponges. Adding an XP3 as the fish grow and need more filtration.
-2 large air stones
-2 350w titanium heaters
-Bare Bottom Tank with 2 pieces of fake driftwood and 8 silk plants
-Tap water from Python with dechlorinator (Prime) added before filling the tank. Same method used for the 125 gallon discus tank for over 2 years.

Current Water Readings: Ammonia - 0ppm, NitrIte - 0ppm, Nitrates - between 0-5ppm (they have never been over 5ppm), Ph - 7.8 and steady, Temp - 86.4 and steady.

Very tiny (maybe 1/4 inches long) white worms appeared in my 180g tank out of the blue a couple of days ago. I am pretty sure that they entered the tank via the sponges from the 125 gallon. My bf is in charge of cleaning the 125g and although he does daily water changes w/ gravel vacuuming of 60-70%, he isn't good at wiping things down. There is a tiny bit of gravel in that tank and I think the worms have been hiding there. I checked yesterday and saw the tiny worms going up the tube as the 125g gravel was being vacuumed.

Back to the 180g - It started with waking up a few days agoto find the bottom of my bare bottom tank covered in white "dust" particles. I did my best to vacuum them when I did my water change that evening. The next morning, more "dust". Two days later, the worms appeared floating in the water. I have a lot of water/air circultion in my tank, so I don't think that the worms are really able to crawl along the glass when the filters and air are running. When I shut everything off to do my water changes, the ones that drift close enough to the glass will attach and start crawling up the glass like an inchworm. Others will float down to the bottom and start inching along.

I was doing only a 20-25% water change every day since the tank is understocked and the nitrAtes have always been below 5ppm. During the water changes, I vacuum the bottom and use a sponge on a stick to wipe the sides and bottom. This really just stirs stuff up, in my opinion, so I wait for everything to settle and then vaccum the bottom.

I cannot wipe down the bottom or back of the tank or the lower sides with a paper towel because the tank is really tall and I am pretty petite and can't reach those areas with my hand. I have to stand on a chair to even vacuum the tank.

Since finding the worms 2 days ago, I have changed 50% of the water daily and have rinsed 6 of my 12 sponges in tank water. Rinsing the sponges caused a temporary .25ppm spike in ammonia (probably because the tank is new and doesn't have a huge amount of bacteria yet) which I handled with Prime. For this reason, I have not yet rinsed the other 6 sponges or done a major cleaning of the filters. I don't want to add ammonia to the current problem.

Once again this morning, I woke up to white "dust" on the bottom of the tank and worms are still floating around in the water. Less than before, but there are still a lot of them.

The worms are somehow attaching themselves to the fish and really irritating them. Sometimes, I see the fish jerking forward and when I walk over to take a closer look, I see that my fish are pecking at them as if they were FBW!

What should I do other than what I have done so far?

Will the worms crawling on the fish hurt them or cause a skin or fill infection of some sort?

Is it safe for my Discus to eat them?

I am really worried about this because my fish seem very uncomfortable and I am afraid that they are stressed enough that they might get sick.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wendi

White Worm
08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I dont believe planaria will hurt your discus, however, it could be a little irritating. Numerous large water changes is the way to get rid of them quickly and cut back on the feedings. Do this for a week or so and you should have minor numbers. All tanks are going to have some. You really should up your % of water change and you will keep this problem to a minimum.

johnett
08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
From what I have read you are over feeding. As the worms feed off of things that are left. They will go away just wipe down good and do water changes. The fish will be fine and they can eat them;)

johnett
08-09-2008, 07:19 PM
ahh we must have posted at the same time lol

Kindredspirit
08-09-2008, 08:50 PM
They won't hurt your fish, as it is a sign of poor tank maintenance and over feeding. Cut back on feedings and up your wc ~

WendiDeCato
08-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Thank you for your replies. I typically do 50% daily water changes on all of my tanks, but 50% of 180 gallons is a lot of water to go through on a daily basis. Especially for a understocked tank. My bf is already freaking out about the water bill!

I only feed what they can eat in 3-5 minutes and I turn off the filter while there is food in the tank. The worms obviously came from the other tank, but i dont know how they are reproducing so fast. I was feeding FBW twice a day and color bits and flakes once a day each. I have cut down to just FBW x2 since this started.

I am really not sure what to do at this point because I can't really give the filters a thorough cleaning yet if wringing out only 6 of the 12 sponges caused an ammonia spike. I didn't even touch the biowheels at all. Although the tank is cycled, it is still in a rather delicate stage, I guess.

My fish are twitching constantly and the non-pigeons go really dark for a few minutes at a time and then go back to normal. I am worried that the stress might make them sick. Have any of you ever seen these worms actually attach to the fish? Are they feasting on the slime coat?

I am glad to hear that eating the worms won't cause problems because all of the fish are doing it.

Any other advice?

amyandlars
08-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately, your filters do need a good wringing out. Do you get an ammonia spike even with wringing them out in a bucket of tank water?

It also helps to wipe down the sides of the tank with a paper towel to get rid of anything that is sticking to the glass.

WendiDeCato
08-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Amyandlars,

Yes, I got a spike after wringing 6 of the 12 sponges in a bucket of tank water. The tank is still fairly new. I cycled it with 4 sponges from my 125g, but everything else is brand new and my bioload isn't very high.

I just cleaned the filters and the only thing that was the least bit dirty was the original 4 sponges that I took from my 125g. I really don't overfeed, so I didn't really expect the filters to be dirty, yet. That's why I am confused about the prolification of these worms.

Anyway, I wrung the sponges out again and changed 40% of the water. I can't really reach much of the tank glass with a paper towel, so I have to use a sponge on a stick. Then, I wait for everything to settle and vacuum the bottom.

After all of this cleaning, I am sure to get another ammonia spike.......

Question: To detoxify ammonia, do I just add the amount of Prime that I took out (40%) or do I dose the whole tank? I don't usually need to use Prime for anything other than conditioning the water.

WendiDeCato
08-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Sorry, I cut myself off. LOL

Also, does Prime release the ammonia back into the water like other ammonia removers do?

I planned this tank so carefully to make sure that my fish wouldn't be subjected to stress from ammonia, but these nasty worms are ruining everything. What's that saying....."the best laid plans...."

Thank you everyone!

Wendi

Don Trinko
08-10-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't think any of the ammonia removers release it back in the tank. They convert it to a harmless form and that is eventualy eaten by your biofilter or removed with WC. Don T.

WendiDeCato
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks, Don.

Somehow, I managed not to have an ammonia spike. I don't know how I managed that, after all that cleaning! My 6 biowheels must be doing a stellar job.

Still not free of the worms, yet, despite sparking clean filters and a nitrate level that is barely above 0. Somehow, there are still worms floating in the water and now one of my fish is hiding and on food strike.

Frustrating to say the least!

Thanks again.

Wendi

cturner
08-12-2008, 10:39 AM
If your not using a seachem ammonia test kit you can have a false positive of ammonia from prime. Been there, done that. I've been totally freaked out because I had a rise in ammonia after using prime then I searched the net for info on prime and I've read everywhere that this has happened to other people as well.