PDA

View Full Version : starting

MotoNC
08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
hello everyone, I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and decided to finally post.

I plan on getting 4-8 juveniles and growing them out. I'm interested in keeping a breeding pair if I am so lucky, but I also have some planted tanks that I would like to put them in when they get a decent size.

I've been doing my homework to setup my first discus tank, and have a few questions I've been unable to find answers for.

I've noticed that most people feed their young discus three to four times a day. Do people use fish feeders to help accomplish this? I plan on trying carol roberts "sticky" recipe. I could imagine some problems with having defrosting liver in a feeder all day!

I'm considering two different tank setups. One is a 25g nanocube that I have found locally. I think the biowheel filtration would be good for a bare bottom tank. Anyone have experiece with this type of setup? For this small of a tank, would less fish (around 4) be recommended?.

The other tank is a 36 gallon bowfront kit (aqueon). It has all the basics at a very good price. It has a hang on back filter for a 30 gallon. I'm concerned that it will not have enough surface area for benificial bacteria. Anybody have good luck with a hob filter?

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

MotoNC
08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
BTW, my water parameters are:

PH is 6.4

KH is 2.5

GH is 3

White Worm
08-12-2008, 09:16 PM
hello everyone, I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and decided to finally post.

I plan on getting 4-8 juveniles and growing them out. I'm interested in keeping a breeding pair if I am so lucky, but I also have some planted tanks that I would like to put them in when they get a decent size.

I've been doing my homework to setup my first discus tank, and have a few questions I've been unable to find answers for.

I've noticed that most people feed their young discus three to four times a day. Do people use fish feeders to help accomplish this? I plan on trying carol roberts "sticky" recipe. I could imagine some problems with having defrosting liver in a feeder all day!

I'm considering two different tank setups. One is a 25g nanocube that I have found locally. I think the biowheel filtration would be good for a bare bottom tank. Anyone have experiece with this type of setup? For this small of a tank, would less fish (around 4) be recommended?.

The other tank is a 36 gallon bowfront kit (aqueon). It has all the basics at a very good price. It has a hang on back filter for a 30 gallon. I'm concerned that it will not have enough surface area for benificial bacteria. Anybody have good luck with a hob filter?

Thanks for any and all advice! :)
If you are just starting, dont cut corners. You need a young quality juvenile group of 5-6 discus and at least a 55g tank BB at first until they get to be a good size. You can then move em over to the planted tanks. You wont be able to do much for long with a 25 cube. The more filtration the better. Biowheel is fine but you may want to think about a large HOB or canister...maybe some sponge filters. Even the 30g is too small. Tanks that size are good for QT or breeding but your discus should grow large and they are going to need larger surroundings for that growth.
An auto feeder is mainly used for the dry foods like pellets and flake. Carol's beefheart recipe is supposed to be frozen in the fridge. Just break off chunks and drop them in the tank. Yes, you will want to feed juvenile discus 4-6 x a day.

Water is fine and welcome to Simply and discus!!!