PDA

View Full Version : How thick is your sand?????

sophie68
08-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi all,:)
I am curious to know how thick your layer of sand at the bottom of your tanks is. I am asking because I was told that 2inch is too thick and that it might be a problem in the long run. My tank is not planted and I vacuum very carefully with each WC as I don't want any anaerobic pockets. My layer is not even even, it goes from 0,5 to 2" in the deepest places. I will admit it is a bit of a pain to clean, but I am used to it now. However, if I am likely to get more diseases, then I will reduce it. Thanks for chiming in!

Sophie

geleen
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi all,:)
I am curious to know how thick your layer of sand at the bottom of your tanks is. I am asking because I was told that 2inch is too thick and that it might be a problem in the long run. My tank is not planted and I vacuum very carefully with each WC as I don't want any anaerobic pockets. My layer is not even even, it goes from 0,5 to 2" in the deepest places. I will admit it is a bit of a pain to clean, but I am used to it now. However, if I am likely to get more diseases, then I will reduce it. Thanks for chiming in!

Sophie

I have up to 3 inches in places and I stir it up once a week just by running my fingers through it and vacuuming up the stirred up stuff;keeps it nice and clean.
J

seanyuki
08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Sophie,

Just sharing perhaps these links may help:)in my opinion over 3 ins in depth you could use an undergravel filter....perhaps some experts may suggest also.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/calculator.php

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php

http://www.reefbuzz.com/modules.php?name=sandbed

Cheers
Francis:)

sophie68
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Francis,

Thanks a lot for all the info. You are always super useful!!!!!!
It does not sound to me like 2" is too thick!!!

Sophie

sophie68
08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I have up to 3 inches in places and I stir it up once a week just by running my fingers through it and vacuuming up the stirred up stuff;keeps it nice and clean.
J

Hi there!
Thanks a lot for your feedback! It makes me feel much better!

Sophie

Hasseness
08-14-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't have much experence with discus but I do with sand :)
My tanks have pool filter sand and I have 1 with colourquartz 3M T-grade. They are all a breeze to vac. I can shove the hose all the way to the bottom and the sand wont get sucked up (it will go up in the tube about 3 inches up and fall back down)
As long as you have larger sand particles I do not see a problem with anaerobic pockets. Just keep up on the vacuuming.
I would not use colourquartz with discus because it raises PH. I like the pool filter sand better because of the price. $9 for a 50 lb bag...great deal :)
The sand at the pet stores will vacuum up. So does the kids play sand.

sophie68
08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks a lot. I think some people are just a tad too paranoid!!!!;);););)

Sophie

yim11
08-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Mine is between 1-1.5" throughout the tank. I have also heard 2" could be too thick so I tried to stay below that (better safe than sorry I figured). My tank does have some rooted plants. I keep some MTS in there to help stir the sand but mainly I use a pair of chopstick every other cleaning to stir the sand.

HTHs,
-jim

sophie68
08-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Mine is between 1-1.5" throughout the tank. I have also heard 2" could be too thick so I tried to stay below that (better safe than sorry I figured). My tank does have some rooted plants. I keep some MTS in there to help stir the sand but mainly I use a pair of chopstick every other cleaning to stir the sand.

HTHs,
-jim

Hi Jim,
What's "MTS"????? Cheers!!
Sophie

yim11
08-15-2008, 01:44 AM
MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Little spiral shaped guys, usually about 1/2-3/4" but some get 1" and over. Reproduce very fast! Being small, they not only help w/the sand but also clean up leftovers the bottom feeders may miss.

If you ever want some PM me, I have PLENTY.

HTHs,
-jim

Yassmeena
08-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi Jim,
What's "MTS"????? Cheers!!
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

Is your avatar your fishtank? If so, I love love love your background?

Is that painted on? What kind of paint is it?

sophie68
08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi Sophie,

Is your avatar your fishtank? If so, I love love love your background?

Is that painted on? What kind of paint is it?

Hi there,

Thanks!!!! :) No, it's not painted at all. Just a regular blue background that I bought, I think in Petsmart. It is high as my tank is about 28" deep. Should be easy enough to find. The other side is black.

Sophie

sophie68
08-15-2008, 11:13 PM
MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Little spiral shaped guys, usually about 1/2-3/4" but some get 1" and over. Reproduce very fast! Being small, they not only help w/the sand but also clean up leftovers the bottom feeders may miss.

If you ever want some PM me, I have PLENTY.

HTHs,
-jim

Hi Jim,
OK! Thanks a lot for the info. I might want to get some but I heard that they can become a problem, have you found that?????:):):)
Thanks !!!!!!

yim11
08-15-2008, 11:33 PM
They can be, but I find they are easily managed 2 ways in a sand tank - one by running a net through the sand (done at the same time I use the chopsticks for pockets) and discard all snails caught in the net. That alone does a great job of population control, but to be sure I also have a skunk loach that helps me out with the population as well.

HTHs,
-jim

PS - I think we have the same background! Got mine at petsmart also and recently flipped it from the black to blue side based on peppering comments here on simply.

GrillMaster
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
I dont really think a UGF would work with sand would it? It would probably be just a glorified aerater...A UGF is designed to pull waste thru more course aquarium gravel to the bottom of the tank. This wouldn't work with sand.

IMO there is no place for an UGF in a discus tank, or any tank for that matter. Just my .02...

For contrast a typical slope from front to back. 2" in the front to 3" in the back gives the tank a bit of depth to it.

seanyuki
08-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Just sharing...lol.. I think that sand using UGF

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/Stansplantedtank.jpg

Cheers

I dont really think a UGF would work with sand would it? It would probably be just a glorified aerater...A UGF is designed to pull waste thru more course aquarium gravel to the bottom of the tank. This wouldn't work with sand.

IMO there is no place for an UGF in a discus tank, or any tank for that matter. Just my .02...

For contrast a typical slope from front to back. 2" in the front to 3" in the back gives the tank a bit of depth to it.

*Polka dots roc*
08-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Lol Francis you seem to like pictures these days:D

seanyuki
08-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Nicole,

Ok no more pictures from now on...only words:p

Cheers

Lol Francis you seem to like pictures these days:D

GrillMaster
08-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Just sharing...lol.. I think that sand using UGF

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/Stansplantedtank.jpg

Cheers

That is a pic of a nice tank for sure!! All the equipment has probably been removed for the picture which is commonly done with planted tanks for effect. It is also mandatory to remove filtration uptakes,heaters, etc...for pics with AGA entries.

All Amano tanks also have all the equipment moved out of the tank for the pictures...