PDA

View Full Version : Painting inside of tank?

Yassmeena
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Is there a way to safely paint the inside of my tank and have it ready to reload with my fish and plants within a few short hours of painting it?

dpt8
08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Why paint the inside ??? Is it acrylic with a black background ??

Yassmeena
08-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Why paint the inside ??? Is it acrylic with a black background ??

I already painted the outside. It's black, and I am getting my discus soon.

I don't want them to show their black stripes, and I beleive that they camoflauge. So I want a color that won't bring out the stripes.

My German Blue Rams didn't show stripes except for by their eyes in the LFS. When I got them home in a couple days they started showing their stripes.

DiscusOnly
08-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to remove the paint from the outside?

happygirl65
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
If it is a glass tank, it shouldn't be too hard to remove the paint. I scraped all mine off with a razor blade with relative ease.

If it is acrylic it would be a different story.

AADiscus
08-15-2008, 09:44 PM
You are better off painting the outside of the tank a light color for your discus. I you don't want to paint it then you can always use white paper or something. I would differently take the black paint off of it.

DiscusOnly
08-15-2008, 09:55 PM
If it's glass and you want to remove the existing paint, I highly suggest a tool like this. It's much safer than holding a bare razor blade.
You can usually find these at Pepboys or similiar auto parts store.

Yassmeena
08-15-2008, 10:36 PM
If it's glass and you want to remove the existing paint, I highly suggest a tool like this. It's much safer than holding a bare razor blade.
You can usually find these at Pepboys or similiar auto parts store.

Yes, my tank is glass. I didn't know removing the paint would be an option - nice!

Do you think I would be able to find that tool at Home Depot? What is it called?

DiscusOnly
08-16-2008, 01:16 AM
The name of the tool is usually listed as glass sticker scraper or something like that. I am sure Home depot has them as well. the one in the picture I posted is a fancy one that is used more on automobile. It's what it's used to scrape off registration/inspection stickers from windshields.

Ed13
08-16-2008, 01:45 AM
I've found/used two different ones with 4" blades from local hardware stores that made quick work of paint, silicone, crud, fingers...:D. One for $5.99 very sturdy with a long steel an rubber handle about 10" long. Somewhat surprised on the price as it was sturdy and heavy.
The second model had a plastic handle, picture a disposable shaving blade type just bigger, but with a lock to replace the 4"blade for the great price of a dollar:D. Unfortunately I wasn't the one who bought it, and the female who did doesn't remember where it was purchased:rolleyes:

seanyuki
08-16-2008, 01:50 AM
Just sharing,

by painting the Styrofoam and glue it....must EASIER....just sharing

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF1369.jpg

Cheers
Francis:)

Greg Richardson
08-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Great idea Francis! Get your color and insulation!

seanyuki
08-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Hi Greg,

I will say we share with each other and not who learn from who.

Cheers
Francis:D

Great idea Francis! Get your color and insulation!

Yassmeena
08-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Just sharing,

by painting the Styrofoam and glue it....must EASIER....just sharing

Cheers

That really IS a great idea!

What kind of glue did you use?

seanyuki
08-16-2008, 10:56 AM
HI there

I use hot glue and are selling in most hard ware stores.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?s_kwcid=home%20depoy|73378 4417&gclid=CI6uy7POkpUCFRZZiAoduVvPfg&cm_ven=hdca_goog&langId=-15&storeId=10051&cm_pla=D-brand&catalogId=10051&cm_ite=bid20293218-home_depoy&cm_cat=Search&N=0&Ntk=level1&Ntt=glue%20gun&Nty=1&D=glue%20gun&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true

Cheers

That really IS a great idea!

What kind of glue did you use?

Al M.
08-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I have seen threads likes this alot.... Why anyone would want to paint there tanks is beyond me. Like Frances said you can use foam, I use white foam and do not paint it ,but if you want to you can paint it any color you want, change colors when you want, not wreck your tank, and you can sell if you get tired of the hobby you can sell for more money, because somebody dosn't have to scrape off some ugly paint that they don't like.... oops sorry started to turn into A rant..........

Yassmeena
08-17-2008, 03:30 AM
HI there

I use hot glue and are selling in most hard ware stores.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?s_kwcid=home%20depoy|73378 4417&gclid=CI6uy7POkpUCFRZZiAoduVvPfg&cm_ven=hdca_goog&langId=-15&storeId=10051&cm_pla=D-brand&catalogId=10051&cm_ite=bid20293218-home_depoy&cm_cat=Search&N=0&Ntk=level1&Ntt=glue%20gun&Nty=1&D=glue%20gun&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true

Cheers

Yes I have used it before - great! I assume you put the glue only around the edges of the tank?

Also - what kind of paint did you use on the styrofoam, and where did you buy the styrofoam?

lol - sorry - I know - a million questions!!!

seanyuki
08-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi there.

Only the four corners of the styrofoam.

I assume you put the glue only around the edges of the tank?

Any brand of water base paint,Home Depot has the styrofoam in different color...white,blue and pink...one sheet of styrofoam is enough to do a 70 gallons tank's background plus underneath the tank.

what kind of paint did you use on the styrofoam, and where did you buy the styrofoam?

I will say we share with each other and not who learn from who.

Cheers

Yes I have used it before - great! I assume you put the glue only around the edges of the tank?

Also - what kind of paint did you use on the styrofoam, and where did you buy the styrofoam?

lol - sorry - I know - a million questions!!!

Sandi
08-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Wow, what a great idea. especially before winter. the color looks beautiful, like the caribbean ocean thanks ;)