PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe for Discus

ltgoof
08-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Is this safe for discus?

http://mopsdirect.us/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/wt/WTAF-111B.asp?E+scstore

I have been using API Accu-Clear on my other tank, I haven't heard or known anybody using this to discus tank? My 90G discus tank is a bit cloudy compared to my 20G tank water is crisp and clear after I put Accu-Clear.

seanyuki
08-16-2008, 01:37 AM
hi there,

Cloudy water means over feeding....are you feeding them with beefhearts? less chemicals more frequent water changes...perhaps others could comment this.also need more details of your set up.

cheers
Francis:)

Is this safe for discus?

http://mopsdirect.us/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/wt/WTAF-111B.asp?E+scstore

I have been using API Accu-Clear on my other tank, I haven't heard or known anybody using this to discus tank? My 90G discus tank is a bit cloudy compared to my 20G tank water is crisp and clear after I put Accu-Clear.

ltgoof
08-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Thanks Francis,

Yeah, my discus is over fed, as they say I have to give them 4-5 feedings a day. I tried giving them beef heart before but they don't like it and I have read some negative comments on BH. What I feed them are FBW cubes and FBS cubes, then Tetra Bits every once in a while.

About my tank setup, it is a 90G tank with Rena XP2 and Aqua Clear 70. I have a natural gravel that covers half of the tank, it used to cover 100%. I removed half of it as they say it is hard to clean and to avoid complications. About lighthing, I have a 18Wx2 T5 flourescent tubes. A 200W heater is use to maintain 84-86F temp.

I do 30% (about 30 gals) every day. I age the water to a 30G Rubbermaid garbage can and use Prime dechlorinator.

I'm seeing tiny particles on the water, I don't know if it is still the dust from the gravel but the color of the water is somewhat yellowish. I have already replaced the sponge filter media after a couple of week cycle to get rid of those dust from the gravel. I have also reduce the lighting from 12 hrs to 4 hrs. My pH level is stable, I have tested the amonia and it is 0. I haven't test my water for Nitrate, maybe tomorrow I'll grab a Nitrate test kit.

Don Trinko
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM
IMO The cloudy water is from bacteria. The chemicals may kill the bacteria but if you don't change the condition that caused it it will come back again.
When my water starts to get cloudy I cut back on the food. Works every time! Don T.

dpt8
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
I run 3 hydro V sponges and one aquaclear 70 on one of my 90's and three sponges and two aquaclear 70's on my other 90.. I do have a thin layer of gravel in each tank as it is in my living room. I vacuum the whole tank and change 40 percent of the water every other day.. Tank are really clear. I think you have to add more bacteria collecting sponges to your tank. How long has your 90 been set up been set up ?? Takes a little while for good bactria to build up.. In my 90's I feed FBW, Tetra bits, some other pellets.. very often but only enough each time for fish to clean up very fast. There is a pad ( I forget the name of it now) that collects the minut particles that you could put in your aquaclear 70 to filter out the floating particles.. Pad is a little expensive but worth it as it works great.. I'll have to look it up.. Its white, rectangular shape and absorbs so many things. Its called a Polypad. I cut it to fit the aquaclear..

ltgoof
08-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your advice Don T and dpt8.

I will start giving them small but frequent feeding.

My tank cycle is almost 5 weeks old, on my Aqua Clear 70 I removed the carbon and replaced it with a sponge. I'll transfer the Bio Max (ceramic bio-media) to my XP2 and put another sponge to the Aqua Clear 70 to make it 3. In that regard, the Aqua Clear 70 will serve solely as a Mechanical filter.

Please post the name of the pad when you get a chance, I'll try that out too.

ShinShin
08-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Cloudy water can be caused either by a bacterial bloom or particulate matter. The product shown will not help a bacterial bloom. Supposedly, the chemicals in the product cause a reaction with the fine particles that then cause them to bind together, forming larger particles. The keeps happening until the particles are too heavy to float or be carried by the current and drop to the bottom. Proper filtration will elimenate the useage of the product you asked about.

Mat

ltgoof
08-18-2008, 03:28 AM
After cleaning the filter, did a 50% WC for several days now, shutdown the lights, reduce the food to the amount they can consume for 2 minutes and as advised, I put AC to handle those particles floating around....

Voila! My tank is clear now.:bounce::bounce2:

Thanks for your input, you guys rock!