PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 304 - help me set up please!!!

Yassmeena
08-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi - I just bought a used Fluval 304 for my future 55 gallon barebottom. I have been reading the manual, but I don't want to make any mistakes in the placement of my medias.

For those of you who have a Fluval, what medias do you use and where do you place them? I looked at the manual image that defines sections FS, H, M and L. FS = foam screen. H = high bin, M = middle bin and L = low bin I beleive.

Wahter
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi - I just bought a used Fluval 304 for my future 55 gallon barebottom. I have been reading the manual, but I don't want to make any mistakes in the placement of my medias.

For those of you who have a Fluval, what medias do you use and where do you place them? I looked at the manual image that defines sections FS, H, M and L. FS = foam screen. H = high bin, M = middle bin and L = low bin I beleive.

Whoa! You specifically said you had a Fluval 305 on this post:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showpost.php?p=467354&postcount=7

And now you say it's a Fluval 304? Which is it? You have the be specific since they are different filters...

At any rate, here is the website for the Fluval manuals (all of them)

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/manual.cfm

Walter

Yassmeena
08-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Whoa! You specifically said you had a Fluval 305 on this post:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showpost.php?p=467354&postcount=7

And now you say it's a Fluval 304? Which is it? You have the be specific since they are different filters...

At any rate, here is the website for the Fluval manuals (all of them)

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/manual.cfm

Walter

The guy who sold it to me said at his house it was a 305, so that is what I posted. Today when it arrived I saw that he must have made a mistake because it was actually a 304. I have the manual, thanks though. :)

This is what I am thinking of doing, please post feedback:

- Fluval foam inserts in the FS region
- Fluval biomax in the M region (manual says "the ring size and shape provide an excellent strainer for medium and large particle wastes when used in the middle media basket)
- Seachem purigen, 300 mL in the H region to enhance removal of ammonia, nitrates and nitrates.
- Fluval carbon - 3 bags in the L basket
- Fluval polywool - in L region
- API pre-filter on each of the 2 intakes

Does it sound like a good plan. Definately I am open to suggestions!

DiscusOnly
08-18-2008, 08:40 AM
- API pre-filter on each of the 2 intakes

Not sure what you mean but there is only 1 intake for the filter. Put the pre-filter on the intak side. For the water return line, I suggest getting a spray bar. I had good success with using spray and aiming it to the back of the tank to create surface movement.

There is very little difference between the 304 and 305 (a 305 is obviously newer). I don't use carbon on mine. I use the fluval ammonia remover on the lower and biomax on the top 2.

alan j t
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
i have a 304 and 305 and there is very little difference
but still it is a diffrerent filter
i use a spray bar and all three of my trays are full of those rings
i dont think you need carbon or anything else since you are changing the water enough

Yassmeena
08-18-2008, 07:30 PM
i have a 304 and 305 and there is very little difference
but still it is a diffrerent filter
i use a spray bar and all three of my trays are full of those rings
i dont think you need carbon or anything else since you are changing the water enough

Whats a spray bar?

And the rings - you mean the Biomax bio-media?

alan j t
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
just do a search online for fluval spray bar and you will find what you are looking for, its like 15 bucks online
i saw the pictures and made my own, its not as pretty but it works
and it cost me under 5 bucks

and yes i meant the bio max rings, i forgot thats what they are called

Yassmeena
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
just do a search online for fluval spray bar and you will find what you are looking for, its like 15 bucks online
i saw the pictures and made my own, its not as pretty but it works
and it cost me under 5 bucks

and yes i meant the bio max rings, i forgot thats what they are called
Thanks - I found this website for DIY... seems quite simple.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53315

I also understand the function of the spray bar. However there is one thing I am not clear on - what is the advantage of placing the filter outflow at one place in the tank vs another? Isn't it all the same, just as long as the clean water gets in?

bearcat
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
i use a fluval 304 on my tank,all i use is, some floss in the bottom part with biomax on top of that, fluval amm chips on the other side of the bottom compartment ,on carbon and fill the rest of the compartments with boimax.Oh and sponge on the intake side,but thats it.
I do not use a bar just the fitting that came with the fillter and the fish don't mind,but i have an air stone in the tank to help to give them plenty of oxygen,also one great thing to do is to put a pre-filter on the line going back to your fluval it helps to keep your filter clean long by picking up poop,and uneatin food so they don't get into your main filter.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Yassmeena
08-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes it does help - will add air pump!!!

Apistomaster
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't bother with the carbon or Purigen either.
Just the foam pads, ceramic bio-media and I use a couple layers of blue bonded filter material as the final "polishing" mechanical filtration media to catch the finest of suspended materials. This stuff begins to really catch the fines after it has already begun to collect some dirt.

I am a big fan of using a pre-filter on the intake because they really extend the time required between major filter clean outs. Pre-filters are just cleaned regularly so they don't begin to impede the flow. And speaking of impeding the flows, I prefer the return outlet to be the flattened "Y" return. Most spray bars have small outlet holes and they reduce the potential maximum return flow unless the holes are enlarged slightly.

I like having an air stone if I am only using one canister filter. The current the air stone cause help suspend fine particles where they are more likely to be captured by the canister filter and unless you use the spray bar so it causes surface turbulence, the water returning from canister filters tends to have somewhat depleted dissolved oxygen levels because the nitrifying bacteria use a lot of oxygen in their metabolism of the fish tank's organic wastes.

Yassmeena
08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the info!

I am wondering... how should I clean out my filter, and how often. I will be using a pre-filter on the intake btw.

edmoran77
08-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I use the same 304 filter. I use a perfilter designed for a maxi-jet powerhead and it works great. I clean my prefilter about every two days. Be sure to watch the flow rates, I've had it be slowed greatly by having a dirty prefilter. As for the media inside I just use the foam inserts, Fluval prefilter media (bottom compartment), and the Biomaxx media both the second and third compartments. Has worked great for me and I never have had any problems. I also just use the stocked output and it seems to work fine for me. However I also use sponge filters which provide air exchange.