PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Nitrate readings?

Don Trinko
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Just curiuos if anyone knows what the nitrates typicaly read in the Amazon?
Thanks; Don T.

Ed13
08-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Were?, if I'm not mistaken what is actually the Amazon river is the main channel. Which is big, deep, silt laden, and fast flowing. Meaning it's very unlikely that it even has nitrates. Discus and most of the ornamental fish come from the tributaries, adjacent rivers, channels, lakes, quebradas etc. that may or not dump into the main river. Which, most likely all have zero or near zero levels.
I would like to know Heiko's and Ichthyologist(don't know his name) take on this.

plecocicho
08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I just read in Mayland:Diskusfische, koenige von amazonas that Geissler measured in one amazon tribuary 0,18 mg/l of nitrates.

plecocicho
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Edit: 0,15 mg/l.

Ed13
08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I just read in Mayland:Diskusfische, koenige von amazonas that Geissler measured in one amazon tribuary 0,18 mg/l of nitrates.
Interesting, but do you know which tributary it was?

plecocicho
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
It is said, that number above is the highest concentration of nitrat in all discus habitats.

Ed13
08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
It is said, that number above is the highest concentration of nitrat in all discus habitats.
Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Don Trinko
08-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. Now I'm wondering if there is any test we can do for the amount of nutrition in the water? I was thinking that nitrates were nutrician but not all the nutrician. I know many of us have seen planaria from time to time, even with low nitrates so.... Is there a test for the total nutrition in the water? Don T.

Ed13
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. Now I'm wondering if there is any test we can do for the amount of nutrition in the water? I was thinking that nitrates were nutrician but not all the nutrician. I know many of us have seen planaria from time to time, even with low nitrates so.... Is there a test for the total nutrition in the water? Don T.
TDS, measure the dissolve solids. And ORP will help you guage increase/decrease of organics. Is that what you meant?

Don Trinko
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
I guess I mean what do we measure that indcates how clean the tank is?
Don T.