PDA

View Full Version : Im intermediate, discus tank is NEW!

evanawatson
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Ahh.. So the discus word, like the real, seems to be sooo full of good, different and sometimes just plain conflicting information. So, Im going with my knowledge and heart on a lot of things, but heres a question/possible problem that Ive never run into until now, someone please know the answer!

I have a 55 gallon tank- good heat, filtration, etc. Did a fishless cycle beginning in early July. Took all measurements until they are at a good 0,0,10(nitrate). My tap water was at around 7.2-7.4 pH, even after being in the tank a few days! 6 days ago I added 6-7 barbs and a cory cat to keep the bacteria 'feed' until I come across some quality discus. Heres the problem: I dont know why the PH, within 3 days feel all the way to 6.4-6.6 range!!

Never had this happen. Of course, this maybe good for discus, but not if it keeps falling or crashes! Ive had my eye on it for 3 days now and it remains at that level... Is this good, bad, or indifferent???

any help is greatly appreciated- Is there a difference in 'fake ammonia' and having real fish start the cycle (I read that natural conditions may change the pH)

Thanks!

*Polka dots roc*
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Welcome to Simply:D

Don Trinko
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Doing a fishless or real fish cycle produce similar results. The disadvantage of the real fish cycle is that it is hard on the fish and it only cycles for the fish you have in the tank. If you increase the bioload you will probably have a ammonia and nitrite spike.
The advantage of the fishless cycle is that you can build up to adding a lot of ammonia . This is the equivalant to a larger bioload.

Your ph change could be several things. If the KH of your tap water is low you can get ph crashes. It could also be something you or the fish added to the water. The main thing is for the ph to be stable. Don T.